Thursday, August 16, 2007

Social Network Sites.

If I were a few years younger, or had a band to promote or something like that I'd probably be a member of myspace or even facebook. I understand their "place" and purpose on some levels, but rather than showing my bitter old man i-don't-get-the-appeal attitude I found two funny stories regarding one particular network.

Yesterday I heard that parents of college freshman are going on line and scouring facebook to see who their kids will room with at school. Of course they have to bring on the concerned parent "Oh there were beer slogans and empty bottles in the background of some images!" Ummm earth to mom this is probably going to be an occurance during your innocent childs $500,000 5.5 years of school. As a father I'd be nervous as well but is this some sort of "profiling" as well? I like a social drink as much as the next person. It doesn't mean I drink more than one beer at a time, or drink to get wasted.

In other funny news..it appears one time New York Mayor and Presidentail Hopeful Rudy Giulani has a teenage daugher about to enter Harvard this fall..and on her Facebook profile she noted she was a Barack Obama supporter. Her profile was taken down and Rudy asked that "we" "Respect his children's privacy". Umm dude..someone needs to be held accountable. When she hits "Publish" or whatever it is in facebook its on a public forum.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:04:00 AM , Blogger Dim said...

I wouldn't call it profiling. Just because drinking goes on at college doesn't mean the parents have to like it (or have it shoved in their face by means of a photo). The other thing to realize is that, in a lot of places, it's illegal for freshman-aged students to drink. So, if the parents are shelling out that kind of cake, they might want to make sure their kid isn't rooming with someone who overtly giving them concerns about getting suspended or expelled.

 
At Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:11:00 AM , Blogger Sammy and Joe said...

I read last week that someone hacked Giulani's daughters site and put that on there.
Most likely that article came out of his camp, but it could explain why he asked that people respect his kids privacy.
Could also be that she really does not want him in the WH, after all didn't he recently go through a nasty divorce? Statistic show that daughters often side with their mother in divorce cases.

Disclaimer in case my mom reads this..... I NEVER drank in college, or before college either, those parties were all Marches idea, he is more Irish than I am so he must be more of a drunk.

 
At Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:57:00 PM , Blogger B. said...

My in-laws are doing the same thing now that their son is going to college. Apparently they looked up one of his roommate's myspace page. Hah. I bet the parents of the other kids are doing the same thing. I sort of wish that were an option when I started college. We were given our roommate's address and phone number.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home