Monday, November 6, 2006

Chuck Palahniuk responds to your letter

Saturday the mail arrived as it does any old Saturday. As I dreaded hitting the mailbox for one more catalog and two more bills I was excited to see "a package" It was this

.

I read the return address and it read "Palahniuk" and an address in NYC for his publisher.

Chuck Palahniuk had responded to my letter!

A few weeks back I read on Pop Candy a story that author Chuck Palahniuk was going to take a full month to respond to "fan mail". In the last year (I think?) Rolling Stone magazine had written an article about Chuck and how when he responds to folks he always puts in "prizes" if you will in the packages. Chuck's most famous book is probably Fight Club (thanks to the movie of course). Anyhow, I read the "rules for submission" in which they aid "Tell Chuck something you hope to accomplish as well as a recent accomplishment". I tossed something together quick. Asked him what music he listens to, if anything, when he writes, sealed the letter and that was that.

I cut open the package with glee..what was in here? I shook it like it was Christmas morning..cut it open to reveal this:



It was packed to the top with goodies and FILLED with confetti.

I moved thru the prizes..it was great. Here is a few of the things out of the box:


Next I came upon not one but two cds. They were called "Chuck Palahniuk's Tour Stories Volume 1 and 2". CD1 on the inside read "Bedtime stories for "me" and the second cd was signed:



Finally I came upon the letter back to me. It was 2 pages long and he answered my questions. In my note I spoke how I wanted to help Little March (7 year old daughter) learn to ride her bike w/out training wheels, and how I got some recognition recently for my other music blog on Boston.com. Here is his letter (not sure how good it will be blown up but)



and this was his signature on the second page:


So here was all the loot laid out:


The coolest of the cool came in a small white box that was signed. The last paragraph on page one he said that he didn't write all day the day he wrote to me but he made me a necklace. The three center slabs are Chinese, yellow opals..between those are carnelian agates then tigers eye and disks of citrine. Next comes yellow adventurine and gold coral. Chuck collected rocks on book tours and got the passion from his father. The final sentences were the best "My dad was a rock hound, and I've caught the bug. Please be careful what passions you pass down to your kids.

Here it is:


The stones spell out to (my full name) from Chucky P..its very very cool.

So here is the inventory of what was in the box:
A whole lot of confetti to pack it in...
2 page letter from Chuck
1 packet of pop rocks
2 packets of flower seeds (money plant and Forget me nots)
2 Superballs
1 Beanbag dog (which is my power animal)
1 Fake cut off finger
1 Whitman Sampler
1 small box of Jnr. Mints
1 pack of birthday candles
1 Christmas ornament
2 cds (personalized)
1 egg of Silly Puddy
1 small box of crayons
1 small coloring book
1 magnetic chess set
10-15 glow in the dark stars and planets
1 very large temporary tattoo
1 necklace made special for me.

Little Marches comment when all was said and done..."I want to write to him so I can get a box of prizes!"

This was one freaking cool piece of mail.

16 Comments:

At Monday, November 06, 2006 10:16:00 AM , Blogger The Guinness Tooth said...

That is the coolest thing. As an assignment when I was in 6th grade I had to write fan mail to sports, music, literary and film figures, and after 4 letters all I got was a bumper sticker from Jeff Bagwell. I've read interviews with Chuck before and he always seemed like a strange/ cool guy, and this just proves it. I'm jealous.

 
At Monday, November 06, 2006 10:17:00 AM , Blogger The Guinness Tooth said...

Oh yeah, was there a track listing for the CD? What all is on it?

 
At Monday, November 06, 2006 12:35:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

Wow, that's so cool! Those prizes are so random. :)

 
At Monday, November 06, 2006 1:48:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck is really down to earth. I went to a signing he did in Harvard Square a couple of years ago and he signed my Fight Club DVD. I've heard him say on many an occasion that he listened to "Hurt" by NIN a lot while writing Fight Club. His last couple of books have been mildly disappointing but he's definitely a cool cat.

 
At Monday, November 06, 2006 11:57:00 PM , Blogger Chixulub said...

That is awesome. I wrote last fan-letter-window and got much the same, except you got that cool CD that isn't available to the public (I don't think) and I got an autographed copy of Fight Club in trade paperback. Which is fine, but I already had that book.

The necklace is what knocked me out. And what my friends seemed most astonished by. It is on my computer monitor between the rubber chicken and the stuffed skunk from the same care package.

 
At Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:27:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very cool man. Enjoy it.

 
At Tuesday, November 07, 2006 10:07:00 AM , Blogger Sammy and Joe said...

I'm with little March! Give us the address and the details on what needs to be in the letter man!
Share the wealth

 
At Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:43:00 PM , Blogger pog mo thoin said...

This is a insanelycool piece of mail! He is an incredible writer and I am so jealous! I hero worship writers more than movie stars and musicians so you have no idea how great I think this is!

March, you rock! How do you find this stuff to do! Hey, now that you are buddies, can you ask him to read my book of stories??? ;-)

 
At Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:53:00 PM , Blogger March2theSea said...

Hey GT - I need to check the tracks out still..life has gotten in the way.

JenG - it is..way better than bills!

KP - he seems very down to earth

chix - thanks for stopping over. The necklace is very cool

core - thanks!

SammyJoe - the window was in October..sorry.

Pog - yeah its cool for sure. I posted this link to Chucks site on the message board so people could see some of the loot. There was was called a posuer/not a fan/a fake only after prizes etc. Its too bad that I admittingly wrote that I was new to his stuff and tried to reach out and I think doing these packages makes him all the cooler more "real". I have since gotten 2 more Chuck books and will read them all. I feel I "owe" it to him if that makes sense.

As far as finding out about it in the first place I did read about him in rolling stone and how he does things like this. I guess his last was in 2004. The USA today blog had a thing about the rules to follow to write to him so I figured "why not". Maybe all I wanted was blog fodder and a box of dollar toys. A random person on his board bummed me out about the whole thing..but then I read his letter and all is well.

If I hear of another I'll let you know..but don't write for the free loot! :)

 
At Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:53:00 PM , Blogger March2theSea said...

that should be "there I was called.."

 
At Wednesday, November 08, 2006 5:58:00 AM , Blogger Steve H said...

holy crap that is awesome. the only thing better would be to get inside his head to figure out where his stories come from...

 
At Friday, November 10, 2006 2:23:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what a fabulous prize! The total randomness is what makes this fun. I think that's great.

I am going to pass this blog entry on to some friends.

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006 11:07:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is TOTALLY incredible, March! What a neat gift!

 
At Wednesday, December 13, 2006 8:33:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got my package today. Some crazy stuff that I would never imagine he's send.

 
At Tuesday, February 09, 2021 12:24:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great story,by any chance would you still have the address you sent the lettwr to,would love to write to Chuck and see if I get anything back

 
At Thursday, March 04, 2021 8:11:00 PM , Blogger March2theSea said...

To - Unknown from 2/9/2021
I honestly don't recall where it went. New York City I believe to the publisher. He probably came in to the office for a few days and responded. Its amazing how long ago this was!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home