Monday, October 30, 2006

Cheetah Girls in Concert..little march and I rock out.

Well the day finally arrived (Sunday). Little March and I went to see
The Cheetah Girls in concert. A few months back you may recall that I bought the cd and it had a presale password for tickets and I ended up getting 2nd row!

Now, some might be saying "Why are you even admitting you went to this?". Well, its the things that we/you will do for your kids.

Furthermore, I use Statcounter to keep track of the (massive) amount of traffic to this blog. Those of you that use it know you can do a "keyword" search which is basically the words folks use that end up landing on your page. I had a fair # of "cheetah girls presale password" hits so I decided I'd do "Cheetahs Girls Concert Review" to further help.

If you don't want "spoilers" you may want to stop reading..but before that..if you read no further..parents..bring your wallets.

on to the show.

Little March was up early and we made some hand made posters to wave at the artists. The day is slow to get to the time to leave. Finally we leave about 3.
Little March and I arrive about 3:30. The show was set to kick off at 4pm so we make way to our seats. We are in section 2 row B (floor dead center). I tell LM that if she wants food or a t-shirt we should go after the first singer comes on. Reason 1 is that the merch booths were PACKED. Fevered parents snatching up everything.

4pm arrives the lights go down and Jordan Pruitt comes out on stage. There is not a single "band" member anywhere. She plays three songs..you read that right..three. Fans of anything Disney Channel may have recognized her song from the the Disney Channel original Movie "Read it and weep". She did the song was "Outside Looking In" (if you really want to see what she looks like the video for the song is on youtube). Its everything you'd expect reading the description..just total bubble gum. That didn't matter to the sold out crowd..they freaking screamed their heads off.

She ends her set and LM and I run up the stairs to get some snacks and look at the merch. After dropping a fair amount of dough (shirt, keychain and a cheetah girls glo-stick..that alone was $5.00) at the merch tent we went to grab some fried dough. No sooner do we start to sprinkle the sugar on the dough then the lights go down and Vanessa Anne Hudgens takes the stage. She became a household name (well if you have kids 5-12 in your house) when she played "Gabriella" in the massively huge hit High School Musical. I know what you might be saying "I've never heard of her/it" etc but the soundtrack was the #1 selling album for a few weeks and there was a time earlier this year where you could not turn on the channel and not see something HSM (Thats High School Musical for you not in the know). Vanessa is touring for her first album and flanked with 4 dancers she hammered through a 5-6 song "set". She didn't touch anything from HSM which was a surprise honestly. Again it was total bubble gum and the kids went wild. She asked who might have seen HSM and got a beatlemania style scream. The highlight from her set for LM was when Vanessa saw her hand made sign and waved to LM. I spun over to look at LM and the smile on her face..man I've paid $1,000.00 to see that all over again.

We decided to sit tight so we would not miss the Cheetah Girls come on the stage.

After just a few moments the lights go down and the screams become increasingly loud. As a long time concert attendee I always ALWAYS wear ear plugs so it was not too bad for me but a dad behind me was struggling BIG time with the screams. The girls come on to the stage flanked w/smoke and dancers and launch in to "Get this Party Started". 6,000 $5.00 glowsticks wave in the dark and its far and away the loudest freaking show (audience wise) I have ever been to. The kids danced near their seats and sang along. Like all the other performers there was no band on stage. Everything was sampled but that was fine. The Cheetahs had a song on the Chicken Little soundtrack "Shake a Tail Feather". Now as a dad I knew the vast majority if the songs played and I caught myself singing or shaking my head (I stayed seated the whole time due to the little kids behind me).

The Cheetahs are pretty good for the little kids (mostly girls). The idea of the show was to find the three things that make up "Growl Power". The girls convey a positive message of friendship as well as compassion. I never felt the girls were dressed "trashy" or danced inappropriately. There were a few costume changes and during that time the dancers would fill the short void. One song they sped around the stage on "heelies" or did some breakdance moves.

Again we waved our home made Cheetahs signs and each of the three girls gave us a wave and smile. LM was beyond giddy..it was so worth it.

As the show was wrapping up (the Cheetahs played close to 1hr) they ended with a rain of confetti from the rafters accentuated with some confetti cannons. LM lost her mind..she LOVED IT. All the kids were picking up the confetti after the show just clamoring to get something so close to their singing idols.

Inside of 2hrs we were headed out of the Dunkin Donut Center and into the windy fall evening. LM grasped my hand as we crossed the street..after a few steps I get...

"Daddy...that was AWESOME thanks for taking me!"

nuff said.

8 Comments:

At Monday, October 30, 2006 8:20:00 PM , Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Man, I am sooo out of touch with what the kids are doing these days.

 
At Monday, October 30, 2006 8:57:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, March...what a wonderful post! Little March sounds like she loved it, and you probably just became a god to her. Glad you enjoyed it - even though you didn't say that explicitly, I could tell. Admit it, you liked it.

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:21:00 AM , Blogger Steve H said...

that sounds awesome! my boys are a big fans of HSM and the Cheetah's so, like you, i know all of the songs.

you must have had a great time. sounds like the times that i took my youngest to see the Wiggles - classic.

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 9:03:00 AM , Blogger March2theSea said...

pog - if i didn't have kids i'd have no idea.

rusty - it was great..and yeah..i loved it too..shhh

Hotwire - it was fun..and the smiles on their faces are just so worth it!

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:40:00 PM , Blogger jenni said...

That is adorable! You are a great Dad.

 
At Friday, November 03, 2006 4:04:00 PM , Blogger The Guinness Tooth said...

You said three girls in the cheetah girls, but I thought they had 4 members. Was Raven there? I've got a feeling she doesn't do the tours.

 
At Friday, November 03, 2006 4:15:00 PM , Blogger March2theSea said...

Raven is in the films but is not "touring" with the band. She wasn't missed honestly.

GOOOO CHEEETAHS!

 
At Sunday, November 05, 2006 9:30:00 AM , Blogger KLF said...

Yea1 2day my friend and I r going to see them!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home