Friday, June 23, 2006

When an image paints 1000 pictures

We have all heard the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover". This is used for anything form actual physical books, to relationships. The idea is what is on the outside may be only be a sample of what is to come, again either good or bad.

Since I am not a prolific reader (getting a little better) I find that with music I can get drawn to the cover art/images. Some can be over the top, campy, beautiful or flat out silly. Other times they just call out to you.

Case in point.



Now I enjoy jazz music maybe a tad more than most people but what you find with jazz fans is they are fanatical. Over the top beret wearing finger snapping roll your own smokes kind of fan. Well that is the image I like to go with.

The cd was released last August and since that time I have added it to my amazon.com wish list, my second spin used cd wish list as well as my lala trades that I wanted. It finally came last night.

The cd was recorded live on September 15, 2001 at the Berklee Performance Center in Boston MA. It was, yes, a few days after 9/11. Rollins who has been a jazz saxophonist working with everyone from Miles Davis to Max Roach as well as a resident of New York just blocks from the World Trade Center wanted the show to go on.

When you look at the image what do you see? Pictured is a just then 72 year old Sonny Rollins, fingers on keys, left leg raised and eyes..the eyes that are piercing to the point they almost scream "listen..forget..even for a little while". A former heroin addict Rollins plays with passion, vigor and grace all at the same time.

At a time when people needed an escape Sonny delivers a whale of a live cd. For a little moment in time everyone left the world "outside". All he offers during the set is a message along the lines of "Maybe music can help at a time like this..I don't know"

Some folks have a hard impression of jazz. Often not structured enough for most people it can be a taxing listen to just put on a jazz cd and expect a non/casual fan to 'get it' but the simple elegant cds like this can make a fan out of even the harshest of critics. There are no egos there are no tirades, just a 72 minutes of a solid evening of music caught forever on tape.

This my friend is essential listening.

Here is a cool review as well.

3 Comments:

At Friday, June 23, 2006 3:25:00 PM , Blogger Steve H said...

although i'm not a huge jazz fan i used to work with a guy who was and he turned me on to it a little. i'll have to check this one out.

 
At Friday, June 23, 2006 5:06:00 PM , Blogger Greg said...

hey march, i can be pretty hit or miss with the saxaphone; i'm a huge Paul Desmond fan while Bird, for example, leaves me indifferent. but i'd love to check out that disc some time....

 
At Monday, June 26, 2006 10:34:00 PM , Blogger Mr. A said...

Looks interesting...I've just started to really collect more Jazz.

A tremendous undertaking and one I've been putting off for way too long!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home