Thursday, May 4, 2006

Recent Album Art.

The lost art of the album cover.

Like many music buyers there is no denying the sound, portability as well as durability of the compact disc. What is lost is of course really good art work..at least on a larger scale.

I am lucky in that when I first started buying music w/my own money I would buy vinyl lps. I had two older brothers so I needed to buy my own Kiss records. I'd look at them, smell them and get lost in the cool covers. As a young lad I loved the Love Gun cover shown below:



In the last few years artists have gone 50/50 it seems on the art work. Trent Reznor said of the last Nine Inch Nails cd that "cover art is a dead art, why waste the time". As you can see here zero effort was taken and a dull cover is the result.



Tuesday I grabbed three cds as noted. The first was Wolfmother Here is that cover.


Kinda fantasy meets medieval. It would be cooler on a record.

Pearl Jam



Okay don't judge a book by its cover I guess. Inside is a pretty decent lyric booklet too.

Finally Tool



What you don't see here is the cool "glasses" you get attached to the cd. You lay the booklet out and hold the glasses up and flop thru a few pages of liner notes and images. It freaking rules. The best is the disclaimer as you start it basically says if this messes you up you can't sue us or the label. The best image is the one of the fetus inside the skull. I need to see if I can find it on line. Here is one image of it "open"

6 Comments:

At Thursday, May 04, 2006 11:02:00 AM , Blogger Greg said...

Love Gun was fantastic. I spent many a boyhood hour fantasizing about those Kiss girls at my feet....

 
At Thursday, May 04, 2006 11:27:00 AM , Blogger Dim said...

I can't get the Tool glasses to work for me. Either it is because I wear prescription lenses or I'm an idiot (or both), but it is all blurry and gives me a headache and vertigo.

- D.

 
At Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:41:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is reason #666 in the long list of why I love Tool

 
At Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:01:00 PM , Blogger March2theSea said...

dim don't stare too hard. I found it to be a bit like those "magic eye" things.

KP 666..i get it..ha 666.
thats funny..666..Turd Ferguson.

 
At Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:25:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

The Tool CD is really cool. I didn't have any trouble with it. I actually like Pearl Jam's cover for its simplicity.

 
At Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:49:00 PM , Blogger Rusty said...

March, I hate the Pearl Jam lyric book, too. The pictures border on disgusting. Perhaps I just have it in for the darn album or something!

The Tool glasses are awesome. Chris showed it to me the other night, and I could see it and thought it was neat.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home