Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Perhaps I am just a bad sport?

Tuesday nights I play in a pick up hockey game. My brother got me in with a very good bunch of guys. Most of them are "older" and its probably their one night out a week to get some exercise.

I love hockey and skating. I wish I stuck with it thru high school and all but that is a story for another day.

So the last few weeks have been fun. Go, skate, have some laughs for an hour and then go home and wait like a little kid on Christmas eve for the next Tuesday.

About 3 weeks or so ago an "new guy" showed up. Most of the time its no big deal but he is a younger guy (maybe 21?) and he is a good skater I'll admit but he is a complete douche.

From the moment you arrive in the locker room he is talking crap to the goalie(s) saying "i am going to score 7 goals on you..and if I score more than 5 on you you have to pay my $10.00 rink fee" just crap like that. Again, I admit he has the speed but he is such a jerk that its starting to just not be fun. He is the kind of kid that if I coached I'd bench until he smartened up.

Two weeks ago he scored 4 goals in a single shift. End to end rush and he'll score and then talk shit to the goalie. He thinks its funny but everyone groans. I was playing defense last week and after his 3rd goal I said "Okay dude we get it you can skate and score".

You sit on the bench and everyone groans about him. If you are on his team and you are say breaking down on a 2 on 1..don't expect a pass cuz Hero needs to pot his umteeth goal of the night.

Did I mention this is pick up? No refs, no penalties etc..just a few guys trying to have some fun.

Last night he was not on my team again and the other guys had a lot of really good skaters. Some guys have played on the collegiate level and one guy is just awesome to watch. The thing is that with him, he'll pass to you, he'll shoot when the time is right but he skates and stickhandles that you get hypnotized. I have to say its a pleasure to watch and play with him. Even as a guy having fun you want to ask his advice in having a better "touch" or what have you.

Back to the dickhead. So last night he infuriates the goalie the goalie takes his stick and smashes in the goal post. The goalie begins to berate us, his teammates, about not playing D. Well at this point I personally want to lay this f'ing asshat out (not the goalie). Its one of those things where you might be able to skate and shoot but if I could lay you out..I will. I am not a little dude either.

So late in the game he does one of his rushes and I am on defense. I decide its time..i get on my horse and i am going stride for stride with him...I swing my stick back and poke the puck away from him and he peels off with an AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW. Remember..he already has 12 goals tonight and zero assists. The puck goes to the corner and I am right on him. He takes some odd angle shot and it goes in..and the cocksucker celebrates.

That was it..I had enough and headed to the locker room.

What used to be fun now kinda blows. I hate to not play for the reasons stated before (love of it and exercise) but paying 10.00 a week to actually want to fucking behead someone makes me angry for feeling that way, and on some levels not actually doing it.

So part of me feels like a really bad sport.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 03, 2006 9:45:00 AM , Blogger Dim said...

Did someone invite this guy to join or did he just show up? Man, I'm surprised you didn't lay him out!

 
At Wednesday, May 03, 2006 9:49:00 AM , Blogger Jenny G said...

Can't you just not let him play? If everyone hates him as much as you do they could just not let him be on a team.

 
At Wednesday, May 03, 2006 4:01:00 PM , Blogger The Guinness Tooth said...

Set up some sort of explosive device attached to his ignition so next time he leaves the game he blows up. As long as no one can link it back to you it should work, and hopefully no one gets hurt... except the dead guy.

 
At Sunday, May 07, 2006 2:55:00 PM , Blogger Mr. A said...

People like him SUCK!

I used to play in basketball pick up games with shitheads like him.

What you need to do is get the everyone in sync and just make it uninteresting to him to play.

In other words, just skate away when he caome towards you and have the goalie exit the pipes.

Let him shoot, uncontested, at an empty goal all night.

He'll talk a lot of shit about you being "scared" of him and blah blah blah....

He won't continue to show if it happens.

More than anything he's there to prove something and won't be able to when that occurs

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home