Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Just wanted to add

I wanted to respond to a post by Emeticsage regarding stair etiquette here at work (you can read his musings here.

We both work in the same building and lately I have noticed a trend that is somewhat annoying to me, its holding the door for someone that is 30+ feet away.

Let me start. I am all for proper etiquette but where do we draw the line?

After you walk thru the parking lot here you have at least 25 feet before the first of 2 glass doors. If someone is near the door and you are just about to step on the sidewalk they stand there..with one arm holding the door open..all the while balancing their laptop, cup of coffee and they still manage to have the cell phone to their ear.

I appreciate that they want to hold to door for me but I am able, really, to open a door 4.4 seconds later. I appreciate the smile and the "your welcome" they unload on me moments later.

My new rule is that if the person has NOT stepped on the sidewalk..that door is closing behind me. Call me dick..but I still open the car door for my wife.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:06:00 PM , Blogger Greg said...

dude, you took the blog right out of my mouth! i hate that with a passion -- cause guess what invariably happens when everyone gets all courteous? that's right -- a traffic jam! everyone's all holding the door for everyone else, and no one moves through!!!

 
At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:05:00 PM , Blogger Rusty said...

isles - I think they're saying thank you for asking them how they're doing. I often say, "Fine, thanks...and you?" when people ask me how I am. It just seems like the mannerly thing to do.

March - I hate that, too. I don't hold the door for people who are a million miles away, but I still feel like a jerk for not doing it. I'm torn. I absolutely hate it when people (and especially men - chivalry IS dead) let the door slam in my face behind them. I'm not the hottest chick in the world, but that doesn't mean I don't deserve common courtesy. I have a feeling they'd hold the door for a thin, model-type girl...but maybe that's just paranoia. The guys who do that are probably just jerks. :)

 
At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 10:36:00 PM , Blogger Sammy and Joe said...

Much worse than those who hold it for eight years, are those who slip through a closing door right in front of you when you have, the laptop, coffee, cell phone (not talking on it) in your hands, and they know someone is behind them but yet... sliiiip, they become make like a spineless rat and sneak through a crack smaller than the one in their ars.

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:35:00 AM , Blogger Jenny G said...

Yeah, what Sammy and Joe said. I also hate it when you're waiting to be seated at a crowded restaurant and you're standing just inside the door, and all these jackasses hold the door open for 10 minutes letting the 2 degree air come inside.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home