Thursday, March 9, 2006

I love music.

I rented an utterly amazing concert dvd this past week. As big a music person I am, most of the time I find that concert DVDs just don't hold my attention. I am not sure what it is but netflix has been a blessing in that I can check stuff out, not buy it, and be done with it. This recent view might make me go the opposite, I might grab
this



The DVD was DeJohnette, Hancock, Holland, Metheny: In Concert. Recording in 1990 at a Philadelphia Jazz Festival this all star line up of drummer
Jack DeJohnette guitar player Pat Metheny bassist Dave Holland and keyboard/pianist Herbie Hancock.

Clocking in at just shy of 90 minutes I was in awe from the get go. The first tune has Jack DeJohnette on stage alone just doing what appears to be just a basic casual drum solo, then Dave Holland comes out and plays a real slick walking bass line on the upright. Herbie comes next, he joins in, then later Pat. They all let it blossom and they are off to the races.

The most stand out track on it that caused me to go back 3 times in a row to view was Nine Over Reggae. Its a DeJohnette tune that he did with Metheny and in research I found that Pat played on most of the studio record in which the song appeared but decided to keep his name off it. Its awesome. The whole thing is just awe inspiring. How can people be THIS talented I wonder. As I watched I realized how amazingly talented these players were. Of the 4 of them the only one I had not heard of was Dave Holland (I guess he was more a session player). Since jazz is not very popular I was thinking about how hard these guys need to work to become household names (well you know what I mean). These guys can play..I mean run circles around any of the top selling bands in popular music yet so few people know who they are or appreciate what they do.

If you do netflix, add it to your queue and be wow'd. It won't cost you anything but your time and you'll feel a little more "worldly" when you are done.
10 f'ing stars.

4 Comments:

At Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:42:00 PM , Blogger Greg said...

Hey March, I queued this up for next week. I'll let you know how it goes....

 
At Friday, March 10, 2006 11:42:00 AM , Blogger Jennifer Leigh said...

Hehehe...check it out! See you there?

 
At Friday, March 10, 2006 11:43:00 AM , Blogger Jennifer Leigh said...

PS - That should be hey hey hey...not me laughing...LOL

 
At Friday, March 10, 2006 1:36:00 PM , Blogger abacadae said...

I completely agree. The best reason to get Netflix is for concert DVD's and tv shows.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home