Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Well that was over quick.

Last night I went to see The Boston Bruins play the San Jose Sharks in Boston. It was a pretty big deal regarding this game.

I am a Hockey fan first, Bruins fan second. Earlier this year the Bruins traded the captain of their team Joe Thornton in a move that caught many folks off guard. After the trade was done I logged on to the Bruins site to see if the Sharks were gonna head back to Boston at all this season. They were so I quick grabbed up my ticket(s) as I had in my mind it would be a "rare" sell out for the slumping and not so fun to watch Bruins.

Arrived to my seats in the highest section of the arena but I could see everything. Five minutes into the game Thornton was ejected from the game for a boarding/intent to injure and that was that. The Bruins put on the kind of game you'd expect to see from a division 5 college team. It was awful. Outshot 17-3 (or close to that) in the first period alone. It was a long night and the B's got shelled 6-2. Regarding the "hit". Joe admitted he should have gotten a penalty and even his victim (Hal Gill) said he felt it was a pretty clean hit.

What surprised me the most was when I got home and watched the footage on the three newscasts. I know there is bias in the media but it was surprising. In a nutshell it was like this:

NBC - Here was the hit, tossed and that was that.
CBS - Here is the hit, a questionable call at best, fans don't get to see the return as much as they like.
ABC - (before showing the footage). Okay there was a reason this guy was traded, he is not a leader he takes dumb penalties at dumb times (goes on a rant) shows the hit and says "what a jerk/idiot, you can't be a leader from the locker room.

Finally I have to say to the Boston fans you have done it again. After the game gets out of hand you cheer for the opposition, cheer when the goalie makes a routine stop, and then cheer when after allowing 5 goals he gets pulled to a series of cheers. Its a freaking embarrassment. I understand being a fan, being frustrated and the like, but can't we win AND lose gracefully? Trust me, I'd love to be the arrogant sore WINNERS and being the losers is getting old but why...why? The team needs HELP not a bunch of critics. No wonder nobody wants to play here. Passionate fans are one thing, rude fans are another.

I have to share a few of the Section 320 (and surroudning sections) verbal groans as sometimes all you can do is laugh.

- Someone please throw me out of here!
- Will you check him please not ask him for a dance!

I try to remain positive, back to the senseless crap you expect from this blog tomorrow.
-March

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 11, 2006 9:48:00 AM , Blogger Dim said...

Dump and chase! Dump and chase!

- D.

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2006 12:06:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

We were at an AHL game, and the guy in front of screamed at the top of his lungs, "It's called boarding, you ass hole!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home