Fact or Crap...the answers.
1) Crap- Readers Digest is the most widely read publication in the world (11 mil in the USA alone)
2) Crap - He did so once on 5/21/80 in a cartoon titled Soup or Sonic. When the creators began the cartoon, they created
a few rules all of them needed to adhere to. One was No dialogue ever, except Beep Beep and another was
that the audience's sympathy must remain with the coyote.
3) Crap - With more than 10,000 lakes Minnesota has more miles of shoreline than any other U.S. State. Its shores total
90,000 miles which is more than the shorelines of Hawaii, California and Florida combined.
4) Fact - The most recent WCup in 2002 was watched by 42 Billion people. 2 Billion for the championship game alone. To put things
in perspective, the last superbowl drew an audience of 132 Million.
5) Fact - All gasoline is pumped from the refineries into the interstate gasoline-pipeline system and stored in above ground tanks. Those "famous"
additives places like Shell and Exxon advertise as beneficial to your car are added when the tankers fill up for distribution to the individual stations.
6) Crap - Tea contains more caffeine per POUND of leaf than coffee does per pound of beans, but a cup of brewed black tea has about 1/2 the caffeine of a cup
of brewed coffee. Some types of tea (green) have less caffeine.
7) Fact - 2.6 Million of the estimated 26.4 in the USA call California home. Florida with 1.9 million is second. Alaska holds the record for % of civilians
who are veterans - 17%.
8) Fact - Leo Hirschfeld came to the USA in 1896 and set up a small candy shop in New York City where he hand rolled and wrapped this candy
creation whose recipe he had brought from the old country.
9) Crap - The Yankees adopted the stripes on April 12, 1912, eight years before Ruth was on on the team
10) Fact - An average speed of 25-30mph in the larger species is common. Their average cruising speed is 10mph.
11) Fact - The recessive gene on the x-chromosome accounts for color blindness. This does NOT mean that every girl born of a color blind father
will be color blind; she simply inherits the genre. Men can not pass the gene on to their sons, since they give their sons a Y chromosome, not an X.
12) Fact - Bats are the largest species (985) of all known mammals, making up 23% of all know mammals by species.
13) Fact - Microwave ovens heat food by sending out small radio waves (microwaves). These waves are reflected off the oven walls and onto the food. As
the waves penetrate the food, the water molecules in the food begin to move. It is the molecules' vibration that heats the food.
14) Fact - It is very very rare, but it can happen. In China a man took a blood test to prove he was not the father of twin children. Evidence proved that he was the father of one, but not the other. The woman then admitted she did have sex with a second man within a 3 day period at the time of conception
15) Crap - Their fur is made up of CLEAR hollow hairs.
16) Fact - Introduced in 1976 the Apple 1 was like a circuit board - it came without a keyboard, power supply or monitor. At auction, the Apple 1 has been sold for $12,500.
17) Crap - it is 102.6 feet. Named "General Sherman" its stands 275 feet tall and it is the largest (in volume) tree in the world. Its mass is 10 times greater than that of a blue whale.
18) Crap - The game can be traced to 16th century Italy. A new York toy salesman named Edwin S. Lowe renamed it bingo after its arrival to the USA in 1929 when he overheard someone accidentally yell "bingo" instead of "beano" (beans were used as card markers)
19) Fact - While it is perfectly acceptable to say "Congratulations" to a groom, it goes against the rules of etiquette to use the greeting "Congratulations" or "Good Luck" with a bride.
20) Fact - In late 1891, Asa Chandler purchased the secret formula from inventor John Pemberton for $2.300. Chandler concentrated on the fountain drink sales rather than bottling. In 899, Chandler sold the exclusive rights to bottle the drink across most of the USA to 2 attorneys for 1.00.
21) Fact - The only presidents to have signed the Declaration of Independence both died on its 50th Anniversary.
22) Fact- Neither does Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or American Samoa. The reason for daylight saving time is to make better use of sunlight during the season changes. In other parts of the world, this event is called "summer time".
23) Crap - They'd be 34-22-33. Before 1998 she would have been 39-23-33. That year Mattel altered her by reducing hips and bust and added proportion to her waist.
24) Crap - His name is Bingo. The sailor is Sailor Jack. They appeared on the box starting in 1918
25) Crap - The roadrunner reaches only 12mph whereas the ostrich has been known to run 45-50 mph.
26) Crap - They were classmates at Pasadena Playhouse acting school, but both earned the distinction of being voted LEAST likely to succeed. Ironically, in high school fellow actor and comedian Robin Williams was also dubbed least likely to succeed, but he also earned the distinction of being voted most humorous.
27) Fact - John Harrison has tasted more than 180 million gallons of ice cream. He prefers tasting his ice cream at 10 to 12 Fahrenheit to max the flavors and
numbing the lounge.
28) Crap - Toto earned a good salary for a dog of $125 per week, a hefty sum compared to that of the munchkins who made only $50.00 per week, but
was less than Judy's weekly take home pay of $500. Nonetheless, Judy made far less than any of the other lead actors on the set. Ray Bolger, who played
Scarecrow made 10 times Judy's salary
29) Fact - It was used to fasten down tools and alleviate boredom. 300 Million eggs of the stuff have been sold since its launch in 1950.
30) Fact - Noted for his astonishing talents in art, architecture, engineering, and various other subject, da Vinci wrote his notebook entries backward so that only those "in the know" could decipher his writings.
31) Fact - Besides having 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms, and 8 staircases it also has a tennis court, jogging track and swimming pool. The original pool commissioned by FDR in the 1930's was covered by Richard Nixon in 1969 to accommodate White House reporters in what is now the press center. Gerald Ford had an outdoor pool installed in 1975.
32) Crap - Only 2 countries, the USA and Soviet Union, had launched manned spacecraft in to orbit. It was not until October 15, 2003 that China became the third country to claim this status, sending 38 year old Yang Liwei on his historic journey.
33) Crap - Louise Joy Brown of England was the first on 7/25/78. Since then more than 1 Million have been born via the in vitro process.
34) Fact - The tin can used to preserve food was invented in 1810 by Peter Durand of London. It was not until 1858 that Ezra Warner invented a way to
open these contraptions. Until then, people were instructed to use a chisel and hammer. Beer cans were introduced in 1935.
35) Fact - In 1752 the Gregorian calendar replaced the Julian calendar in Great Britain and the American Colonies. The day the change took place was
September 2, 1752. Because the Julian calendar was 11 days BEHIND the Gregorian calendar, the next day was September 14, thereby completely skipping September 3 through 13, 1752.
36) Crap - Orville was involved in a flying accident in 1908 that killed his copilot. Orville died of a heart attack in 1948. Amelia Earharts plane disappeared in 1937 over the Atlantic ocean. It is believed she crashed but no one knows for sure.
37) Fact - The architecture and chemistry are similar they can be used in grafts to help human bones heal quickly.
38) Fact - They earned a gold album in 1984 for the album Run DMC". They were the first to go platinum (King of Rock in 85) and the first to appear on Saturday Night Live.
39) Fact - In the 1930's there were 75K drivers compared to 40K working now.
40) Crap - Arthur Guinness of Kildare County Ireland created it. In 1759 he rented an old brewery in Dublin for $70.00 a year. The term of the lease was 9,000 years and included 12 horses. By 1930, one in every 10 men in Dublin worked for the brewery.
41) Crap - It was a pack or Wrigley's Gum. In 1974 the Universal Product Code was ready to be applied to every item that would be produced and sold.
42) Crap - When he was 14, after he started Kung Fu, he took up dancing and later won the Crown Colony Cha-Cha Championship at 18. He used the balance and footwork skills he acquired from dancing throughout his martial arts career.
43) Fact - Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin was upset by the unfair treatment of prisoners who were put to death. Aristocratic criminals were allowed a quick and
painless death, whereas commoners were subjected to public, slow and torturous forms of execution. Guilloton pushed for more humane methods to be used for all classes.
44) Crap - Although written as a memoir from the perspective of a one time geisha the novel was actually written by a white, American born male born in Chattanooga Tennessee (Arthur Golden)
45) Crap - they lower their heads to the ground when they sense danger. The male uses his bill to dig nests and move eggs around, which is often mistaken for them
"burying' their heads.
46) Fact - Since pasteuer was not a physician, many people in the medical field laughed at his theory that such a thing as germs exist and might cause disease. Luckily,Pasteuer continued to work and did more to further medical progress. On top of all that he invented the process that is still used today that helps keep milk from spoiling.
47) Crap - Its the doll.
48) Fact - Their eyes are the size of basketballs.
49) Crap - Snails sleep a lot and even hibernate. Some desert snails can doze for three to four years!
50) Fact - Disney was able to enjoy the Magic Kingdom in California for 11 years, but died in 1966, 5 years before the Florida location opened.
51) Crap - In order it was Augustus Gloop (pipe) Violet Beauregarde(blueberry) Vercua (a bad nut) then Mike TV.
52) Crap - The film was released in 1979, six years after US Troops were sent home from the war.
53) Fact - Evel (born Robert Craig Knievel) would utter the phrase during interviews after completing the stunt. He retired in 1976 after injuring a bystander.
54) Fact - Nolan Bushnell, created Pong and Atari and also launched the first Chuck E. Cheese Pizza time theater in 1977.
55) Crap - It was American Vogue who put Beverly Johnson on its cover in August of 1974.
56) Crap - 57 people were killed or never found. It is also estimated to have killed 7,000 big game animals and 40,000 salmon.
57) Crap - Its is kitchen fires.
58) Fact - 20% lighter to be exact.
59) Crap - Reference books agree that the damage was done well before Napoleon was in Egypt. Besides weather the Turks got to it in the 14th Century and in the 18th century it was shot at by the Mamaelukes who ruled during that time. Napoleon actually brought scholars along with his troops to the area to actually study the artifacts of the region.
60) Crap - The original was made with iron girders and overlaid with a copper sheath.
61) Fact - chocolate contains theobriomine, which, in sufficent quantities, is toxic to dogs.
62) Fact - Its "brain" is scattered around its body thus the head is not needed to stay alive. They can live a month without eating but they need
water about 1 time a week. Since the headless roach can't drink without a head it dies of dehydration in about 1 week.
63) Crap - It was stuck on an island called Isla Esdpanola (now Haiti). It was taken apart and used to create a fortress he called La Navidad
64) Crap - It was Orange County CA. Opened in 1992 and filed for bankruptcy just 8 years later.
65) Fact - he had one that was belonged to Frederic Chopin
66) Crap - it is full of stray cats. Locals have taken to feeding them believing in the superstion that feeding feelines brings good luck.
67) Crap - it takes 30 to 40.
68) Fact - the letter s that the former president used for his middle initial was a compromise for the names of his grandfathers. Anderson Shipp Truman and Solomon Young.
69) Crap - although in 1988 it was begun to call pork "the other white meat" pork contains as much myoglobin, an oxygen-storing pigment that contains iron, as veal does. The more myoglobin the meat has the redder the meat.
70) Fact - although an actual date can not be pinpointed it is believed to have originated in Persia and then spread to Tibet, China and Japan. Warriors played polo as a form of war training.
71) Fact - night butterfiles (and moths) have ears on their wings. They are used to help elude bats.
72) Fact - Dice was also made from ivory and stone.
73) Fact - it was introduced in the USA as such and the English market as the Stowaway.
74) Crap - its 94. In October of 2000 Mark Hogg ate that many on Regis Philbin's show.
75) Crap - Botts dots are actually those raised markers you see on the highway to help keep you in your lane at night.
76) Crap - its called International Orange
77) Fact - She did hold on to her title "Princess of Wales". As part of the 1996 settlement she received more than $20 Million as well as $600,000 per year but was forbidden to use her position to profit from commercial deals.
78) Fact - he survived a brutal car crash in 1954 during a drive from Las Vegas to L.A. He lost his left eye
79) Fact - Introduced in 1961 by Procter and Gamble. They did not have fastening tabs though.
80) Fact - It was a top 20 hit in 1970.
81) Fact - In 1947 5,000 toys were distributed in Los Angles by Marine Reservists. It was so successful it was 'formed" in 1948. Walt Disney designed the logo.
82) Fact - Flood causing hurricanes, tropical storms and torrential rains kill more people in the USA than any other weather occurence. Most deaths are caused
when people walk or drive in flooded areas.
83) Fact - They roll in mud to cool down but it also causes a durable layer of mud to form to their skin. Cows and sheep can sunburn as well.
84) Fact - instead of teeth in the upper front of their mouth cows have a tough pad used for chewing their food.
85) Fact - by definition the word graffito can refer to one symbol or to several elaborate sentences written on a public wall.
86) Fact - there are 2,598.960 to be exact.
87) Fact - in addition to turkey they ate eel, swan and dried berries.
88) Crap - the truth is that color of the matador's cape doesn't upset the bull at all. Like most mammals, bulls are color blind. Its the flapping and waving of the cape that irritates the bull
89) Fact - The greater the # of pennies the longer the nail. This orginated in Englad in the 15th Century. People paid a certain # of pennies for 100 nails of that size. For example 2 pennies would be traded for 100 two penny nails. The penny measurement is abbreviated by the letter "d", which comes from a Roman coin called a denarius.
90) Crap - In the adventure "The Crooked Man" the famous detective makes several deductions about his assistant Dr.Watson based onWatson's appearence. Watson exclaims, "Excellent", whereto Holmes replies "Elementary".
91) Fact - Its been around since the early 19th century. It has fallen out of favor as advances in antibiotics and modern surgery took over, however some doctors still use the parasites to clean out dead tissues from bed sores, gangrene, leg ulcers and stubborn infections.
92) Fact - other famous alums: Bill Clinton, Michael Jordan, Martin Sheen, Denzel Washington, Alex Rodriques, Derek Jeter and Bill Cosby
93) Fact - The French, who were instrumental in introducing cards to Eurpoe and the new world bestowed identities on picture cards. The king of hearts represents Charlemgne, the king of diamonds is Julius Caesar, clubs=Alexander the Great spades is the biblical King David.
94) Crap - it was Apollo 17, the last misson to land men on the moon. The total surface travel distance on the moon during this mission was about 22 miles.
95) Crap- its awarded in Stockholm Sweden. Named after endower Alfred Nobel who was a Swedish industrialist and the inventor of dynamite. The awards for
liturature, economics, chemistyry, physics, and physiology or medicine, along with the peace prize are presneted on the anniversary of Nobels death 12/10.
96) Fact - If in the cooking process the wine is reduced to "dry" (no liquid remains, just a syrupy glaze), the alcohol has evaporated.
97) Crap - she was created in 1921 to solve a mail crisis. People were mailing a fictitious kitchen expert after a Gold Medal Flour promotion. Crocker came from a recently retired director of the company, and Betty was used because it sounded "friendly".
98) Fact - Built in for the 1893 Worlds Fair by George W. Ferris. Fair organizers wanted to outshine the Eiffel Tower, which had been revealed at the Worlds Fair four years earlier. The wheel was later abandonded, then demolished in 1906.
99) Fact - this rule is very strongly enforced. No amount of money will be accepted for the box alone. It must containa Tiffany & Co. article that has been sold and for which T+Co is responsible.
100) Fact - The game was never released under any name other than Twister but it was called Pretzel as it was designed and sold. In 1966 it came out and was the first game in history to use the human body as a full-fledged playing piece.
101) Fact - Music was initially used to cover up some of the noise in elevators and to soothe riders who were afraid of falling.
102) Fact - The cork should not pop. As the saying goes, "The ear's gain is the palate's loss". Popping the cork destroys carbonation. When opened properly, the cork should come off with a quiet sigh.