Monday, December 31, 2007

my favorite shows of 2007

The year end show review.

Fifteen shows this year, not too bad...well I had 18 last year...but was sick for three shows this year and actually had the sense about me to NOT go. Of the three the one that pains me the most to have missed is Sonny Rollins

Lets dive in to the top 10 shows of the year.

Oh I need to mention Laurie Berkner
and Hannah Montana (review) shows since my kids had such a good time at those shows and its just fun to see them dance, sing, clap etc..call me a sap I can take it.

10 - The Police - TD Bank North Garden, Boston MA November 11, 2007 - A little up there ticket price wise I'll admit but I just *had* to see them. They played just about everything I wanted to hear considering I had never seen them live. Am I in a rush to see them again, no..but..I'd see them again if someone offered a ticket. My review here

9. TV on the Radio - Lupos Heartbreak Hotel, March 1, 2007 - Opening the tour, and touring for the great "Return to Cookie Mountain" the band was musically perfect, a muddled vocal mic all night seemed to kind of damper the night some, but the music was so good. My review here

8 Sea and the Cake - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston MA September 30, 2007 - A perfect night in a very small room with respectful fans. The band did what they could to hit as many albums as possible. My review here

7. Superdrag - The Paradise, Boston November 3, 2007 - One of the few shows in years I actually did NOT tape and I kick myself almost every day for not doing so. The original line up tore thru 2+ hours of material that left everyone wondering how in the hell this band was never MASSIVE? My review here

6. Explosions in the Sky - The Middle East, Cambridge MA March 21, 2007 - The crowd was pretty much obnoxious the whole night causing a few people to head to the doors early. EITS always plays sets as if they were their last, and if rumors are true they won't be back in Boston for a few years, as the band plans to take a much needed break. My review here

5. Queens of the Stone Age - Lupos Heartbreak Hotel October 9, 2007. The band kicked off this leg of the tour in Providence and the album to that point had done little to really sway me. I left with my faith restored and the album got many more spins once more. My review here

4. Tom Morello (aka the Nightwatchman) TT The Bears Place June 27, 2007 - When I first heard the solo record I was less than impressed. The mighty Morello honed his chops in Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave. A night of acoustic folk songs? You must be joking! Morello put it all to rest from the get go, just him and the acoustic slayed a hot and packed TT The Bears leaving me wondering what I didn't get the first time I listened to the cd. My review here

3. Battles - The Paradise, Boston November 12, 2007 - I had missed the band earlier in the year due to illness, but was glad they announced another show and I snagged a ticket. Arrived at the venue about 10 minutes before they performed and was treated to one of the most technically interesting shows I had been to in ages. My review
here

2. Tortoise - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston MA July 5, 2007 - Tortoise has been on my list of bands I had to see since I first heard "TNT". There were not a ton of chances for me to see them, but the time came and the band played the 300 or so capacity auditorium at the museum of fine arts. (They did 2 actually). Sitting about 10 rows back in a stunned silent room they lived up to every expectation and exceeded most. The only bummer, the 61 minute set. My review
here

1. Wilco - Fleet Boston Pavilion June 28, 2007 - Some how Wilco and I never were getting on the same page. There were "whatever" reasons for me missing them each time they came around. The night finally came and due to a series of "open tapers" I actually went to a show and just watched, drank a beer and hung out. The band was tight and played pretty much everything I wanted to hear. The wait was worth it and I hope I won't slag off as much as I had in the past. My review
here

2008 is shaping up already! A few shows I am interested in have already been announced.

In (hopefully) a week or so I'll be posting my favorite cds of the year. This year I plan to have some mp3's posted as well as a contest. Prize(s) have yet to be determined..but something to pay you back for reading my horribly written posts in 2007.

Wishing you a great 2008!

7 Comments:

At Monday, December 31, 2007 10:02:00 AM , Blogger B. said...

Happy New Year to you, too!

 
At Monday, December 31, 2007 12:48:00 PM , Blogger Viszlát Sjáumst said...

I used to love going to see live music shows. Now, admittedly, I'm old and lazy and just can't be arsed with it. However, as I mentioned to you before, I did manage to see The Police at Fenway this past summer. Awesome show. I had never seen them and I would've paid just about anything for the opportunity. Well worth the 2 C-notes...

Happy and a healthy New Year to you - and all the March crew.

 
At Monday, December 31, 2007 3:33:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

Happy New Year! Ooooo, you have to send me Jim! I thought about you this morning when I was driving to work and chunks of ice were flying off my car (I had to open the office this AM, so I didn't have time to clean it off that well--oops!)

 
At Tuesday, January 01, 2008 9:10:00 PM , Blogger jenni said...

I'd LOVE to see Wilco live!

Happy New Year!

 
At Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:22:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good review work in 2008! I'm looking forward to keeping up with current music events.

 
At Wednesday, January 02, 2008 8:46:00 PM , Blogger Steve H said...

i wish i'd have seen the police...

 
At Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:16:00 PM , Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

I would have loved to have seen the Police! THat would have been total nostalgia for me... sigh.

Hear's hoping that you have even more great concerts to review this year!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home