Friday, June 29, 2007

Wilco - Bank of America Pavilion, Boston June 28, 2007



Wilco
Bank of America Pavilion, Boston MA
Thursday June 28, 2007


Support Act - Low.

The list of "Bands I need to see" list got one shorter after last nights Wilco show. Somehow I have missed the band live, or skipped the band live or what have you, all the while wondering "why?". The chance came months ago when the tour was announced and I decided it was time.

I had not been to the Pavilion in years. It actually has moved since I had been there, but its current location is now 4+ years old, or more. Its a great venue with the skyline behind you and the water to the front and side of the venue. Per the norm, I attended the show alone and took up my spot in section 2. The venue is "wide" but I had a great view of the whole stage from down the isle.

Low was wrapping up their set and it didn't do a lot for me honestly. After their quick "stick around there is a great band coming up next" sign off, the lights went up and the stage would get turned over for Wilco.

About 8:45 the band takes the stage to a thunderous roar from the sell out crowd. This leg of the tour is wrapping up so the band should really be firing on all fronts. Without much more than a wave the band launches into "Shot in the Arm" from their great "Summerteeth" (check out my Forgotten Disc Friday entry on it) record. The band would hum along for 4-5 songs before lead vocalist and all around swell guy Jeff Tweedy says hello to the crowd. They are pretty much down to business tonight. Jeff mentions that the venue has a "curfew" so their would be less talking and more playing. He made if funnier by saying "So here is another song..after I tell you this story".

The band would pretty much move right along all evening. The banter would be funny at times. Jeff noted they could play and see themselves on "tv". (the venue has video screens on the sides of the stage). He'd also comment about some big pimples he has on his chin and the camera zoomed in...he commented he had finally hit puberty.

Still later in the set Jeff mentioned the bands "backdrop" which was still bundled up (ie not hanging) and I can't even be sure it was..or if he was being funny. Anyhow, he mentions that they have hit the big time with their backdrop and says as a finaly zinger "Thank you Volkswagen". ( the band recently liscensed some songs to volkswagen which has some fans crying sellout).

The main set ended with a fantastic version of Spiders with guitarist Nels Cline doing a number on his guitar. He and Jeff would really lay it down on this. Encore 1 openes with the always fun "Heavy Metal Drummer". Encore 2 saw the band pull out "Passenger Side" to the shock, suprise and even blank stares of some. It a song that that doens't get played quite as much. The band wraps up with the fun "Outtasite(Outta Mind)" and walks off to a thunderous ovation once more. The masses are satisfied so it seems.

One thing that is somewhat frustrating with bands in bigger venues is the whole "encore" break stuff. Jeff mentions they won't slow down so they can play more songs, but they leave the stage twice. I wish bands would stop this. Factor in the time you walk off x2 and that is at least one song. Need a water..fine flag down a road crew member. Its not a diss on Wilco but on the whole idea of it for any band. Stop..we know you are coming back.

Overall I was very pleased. Great sound, great song selection for me as a first timer and an overall decent crowd. Glad I finally saw them and I hope to not miss them again.

Here is the whole set if this is your thing:

Shot In The Arm
Side with the Seeds
You Are My Face
I am trying to break your heart
Kamera
Handshake Drugs
On and On and On
Impossible Germany
Sky blue Sky
War On War
Jesus etc
Theologians
Walken
I'm the Man who Loves you.
Hummingbird >
Spiders
Encore 1:
Heavy Metal Drummer
California Stars
Hate It Here
Encore 2:
Via Chicago
Passenger Side
Late Greats
Always In Love
OuttaSite (OuttaMind)

Links.
Wilco on myspace
Wilco on Wikipedia
Official Site

Boston Globe show review

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Monday, July 02, 2007 9:00:00 AM , Blogger Potsie said...

One thing I can honestly say is that I envy how you can go to a concert solo.

The fact of the matter is you don't go because it is a social event. You don't go to get wasted. You go because you want to enjoy the sound that the band provides...and that is admirable.

I couldn't bring Jax to half the bands I want to see because it isn't her schtick. The only thing I did solo that you normally go with people to is attending a movie. Seeing a movie solo was nice because I got to move to the beat of my own drum.

 
At Monday, July 02, 2007 1:32:00 PM , Blogger jenni said...

I love Wilco!

 
At Thursday, July 05, 2007 9:43:00 AM , Blogger March2theSea said...

neal. dunno if you will be back or not but I saw three mic stands running and I am on good terms with one of the tapers that did that show as well as VT the next night so he might be taking a bit to get the stuff uploaded.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home