Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Harry Potter books and books in general..

I wish I read more. I really do. I mean I read a lot of magazines and web pages, but a book seems to elude me. I wish I could figure out why I just can't get into books. My parents were(and are) big readers, Mrs March is. Little March is a crazy reader but me...I am not sure what the issue is. Honestly I think it has to do w/comprehension. I read and then re-read the same sentence again. I also read slowly. So slow in fact that when I read the DaVinci code I kept notes. I swear, like "who is this dude" and when I came back to the book 2-3 days later I could reflect back "Oh..he is the cop..good got it".

The latest Harry Potter craze is hard to escape. Monday 2 bloggers that I read often both posted about how they got the book and read it in under a day. The book is 700+ pages long! To me that is a marvel to read that much.

Fresh read it in about 24hrs but that was due to a party in between sleeping/getting ready etc. Rusty
Rusty hammered the book out straight in under 12 hrs.

Now I need to ask...is the book that good that you can't put it down? Perhaps I am not reading the right things but I have almost always been bored after a page or two of any book. It bugs me..it really does. I wonder if me "wanting" to like to read is part of the problem. I find the idea of book reviewers amazing as well. They read a book at a rapid pace, understand it, then write about it...usually in what 2-3 days? Cds you an listen to inside 1hr most times, a movie MIGHT be 3hrs but books take that dedication.

Both my kids like to read. Littlest March now likes to sit with certain books and enjoys them a great deal. They will ask for "one more" story most nights and I will cave and read to them. I want them to enjoy it. I go to a bookstore and I want to buy stuff left and right.

I don't feel its a burden to read I just wish I enjoyed it more and this latest Harry Potter craze might be more fuel to the fire to get me to read more.

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:56:00 AM , Blogger Potsie said...

Harry Potter is a good read. Definitely a page turner. The books get darker as they go on, so you should try reading them from book 1 to 7.

Since you are a big movie buff, you should definitely read a book that a movie was based on. Try reading The Firm. You will be able to notice some serious differences between the book and the movie. If anything, the movie will disappoint you more because the book was much more interesting.

Case in point: Da Vinci Code

 
At Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:19:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The book is that good.

But, I also read about 5-6 books a week.

I'm gifted, what can I say?

 
At Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:42:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

I read a little over 2 books a month. If you look at reading as something you "should" do you won't enjoy it as much. Plus, when you have kids it's harder to find alone time to read. I just picked up the 1st Harry Potter book at the library and am going to start it tonight. I'll let you know how it is.

 
At Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:26:00 AM , Blogger B. said...

Yes, as a teacher, I'm going to tell you to read more and let your kids see you reading. I usually read 2-3 books/month and always have a "personal growth" book and a "just for fun" book going at the same time. Perhaps you need an adult reading incentive program, like the kids do Book-It to earn Pizza Hut pizza, maybe you should enroll in a program where you get free beer(or whatever you like) for reading books.
Ok. After proofing my comment, it sounds like I'm making fun of you, which I am so not. Just trying to give advice and be funny at the same time. :) Read on, March.

 
At Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:32:00 AM , Blogger Rusty said...

Yes, March, it's just that good. I read it until 5:30 AM, for pete's sake! BUT...that may come from the fact that I've read all the rest (and loved them all), and it was really a "wrapping up" for me. That made it even more compelling to read it all in one sitting...I couldn't put it down.

March, really, there is NO shame in not reading as much as other people you know. We're all different! I sure don't listen to as much music as you do...just because reading is made out to me a more "intellectual" venture doesn't make it better than other interests.

I agree with Jocular - if you want to read HP, start with the first.

 
At Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:12:00 AM , Blogger Kris said...

People read Harry Potter in a day because it's written for KIDS! Great story yes, but it's still a book for grade schoolers. Let's see those people bust out Lord of the Rings in 24 hrs. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home