Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The future of rock and roll snubbed out too early?

10+ years ago now some friends and I had a band. We practiced each week and got our chops up good enough (for the time) to record a demo tape and play a few concerts at local Boston clubs. After a pretty good, and fun, few years the band dissolved so that the other (and frankly more talented members) could go do other things.

Over the last few years the other three guys played in various bands, to varying levels of "success". Each is now married, with children like me.

A few months ago I dug out our demo tape. Yes I said tape. I put it on and smiled a big old smile. Was it perfect, no. Did it sound good..sure. Was I all that 'good' a musician? Not really no. After playing the six song demo I realized I was lucky to have at least this tape. I stopped here making music, while as mentioned the other guys have done cds and the like.

Little March came in to the room and asked what I was listening. I told her that I was singing this song and played the bass on it. She was enthralled. "that is you?" "Wow this is really good!" It was cute for sure, and no I didn't prompt her to say that. It was fun to listen to and share with her.

So this past weekend the guitar player from the band handed me a cd copy of our fantastic debut ep.

I listened once more and have played it a few times, each time smiling all the while looking towards the floor in some embarrassment. I had a LOT of fun and thank the guys for spending a few fun years with me. Tomorrow...I'll post a song that I sang lead vocals on.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:35:00 PM , Blogger Kari Lee Townsend said...

Very cool. I would have loved to be in a band back in the day. Hell, even today. Don't you love going down memory lane;))

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home