Tuesday, March 20, 2007

March goes to the Movies..well the couch...



Last night I finally got to watching Fast Food Nation. It is a sad state of affairs that I am not a heavy reader, but this film is based on a book of the same name that I did actually read.

It is a decent read and it covers everything from the underpaid workers to conditions in the slaughter houses etc. Couple that book with Super Size Me and I really started to take a look at what I ate and where. I am still a meat eater but this book and film made me pay far more attention.

When I heard Fast Food Nation was being made in to a film I was wondering how it could be possible. If you read the book its not a novel in so much its a story of various people and places. I was just as suprised when I heard American Psycho was being made in to a film (I felt there is NO way that could be made in to a movie that did not carry at least an NC-17 rating).

Fast Food Nation does a good job of telling a few stories and weaving them together even if the characters may never meet face to face. It shows how money and power can do both good and bad things (depends on your side).

Overall I was pleased with the film. It tells a decent story and I am all for something that gets you to "think" a little. Read the book, see the film and decide if you think you are doing the right thing. Again, I haven't stopped eating meat, but I have slowed down and chosen a little more wisely for sure.

Oh and if you are worried about a constant barrage of slaughterhouse images..well there is a scene but its part of the story.

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:22:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the heads up. I've seen this at the video store but haven't had the guts to rent it.

 
At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:36:00 PM , Blogger jenni said...

I almost rented this last weekend, but I rented Babel instead. I will rent this soon. I still haven't read the book yet, though...

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:52:00 AM , Blogger March2theSea said...

trish - overall its a decent watch but there is a part they pretty much "have to show".

Jenni - did you like Babel? I ended up really enjoying that film.

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 12:27:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

I heard the movie was bad but the book was good. Nothing will stop me from being a member of PETA (people eating tasty animals) though.

 
At Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:18:00 PM , Blogger jenni said...

I did like Babel. I remember it moving slow in a few parts, but I did enjoy the film.

 
At Friday, March 23, 2007 12:18:00 AM , Blogger The Guinness Tooth said...

I haven't seen this film yet, but I can say after watching Super Size Me about 6 months ago I've only eaten fast food 2 or 3 times, and that was in a pinch.

Re Babel: I could have done without the entire section of the movie with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchet, the rest of it was pretty good though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home