Monday, February 5, 2007

One of those once in a lifetime chances..

A few weeks ago my brother, who coaches his sons youth hockey team (as well as refs in his spare time) asked me if I wanted to "Skate with some former Boston Bruins"? I wish I could say my response was immediate, but after checking the family schedule I was able to play. The game was this past weekend.

Now, for most of the locals that read this the two "bigger names" were these two:
John "Pie" McKenzie


and Ken Hodge


As you might be able to tell these guys are no spring chickens, but let me tell you, they made minced meat out of 98% of us out there.

The "local" team was mostly made up of coaches and assistants etc from the town my brother coaches in. There was some "space" so I had the chance to play. The first game was 25 minutes, run time then they took and intermission to clean the ice and take pictures etc. Then it was another 25 minute run time game with the team I was on.

It was no check and no slapshot other than that "rules" were applied but anyone that took this 'serious' needed to have a reality check.

What we all quickly learned is that even the guys that played 1-2 seasons with the Bruins and never really made it per se could skate rings around us. (there was a program of the players and some listed played 2-3 seasons tops with the bruins and I don't even remember them). Anyhow when they could turn it on they did and they made us look like fools. Now you might say "well that is easy cuz you are horrible". I might not be the best but there are and were some good players on my team that were left w/jaws hanging.

You realize how fast the game is.
You realize really how graceful a game it is.

There was one guy "Brickley" (now its not the play by play guy for the Bruins but his "brother") who never even made it out of the Bruins farm team. That guy FLEW. I mean FLEW. Could stop on a dime and toss a quick pass to the tape of a waiting player and wham. And...HE NEVER "MADE IT!"

All in all it was a great time. It was over way to fast but honestly they were beating us good and we lost 8-2 in the end. Good laughs and its something I'll never forget..that and the moment I was in the corner w/McKenzie and he toppled over. It looked like I knocked him over but he just fell...he got me back later though.

5 Comments:

At Monday, February 05, 2007 8:32:00 AM , Blogger Dim said...

Wow, man, what a great story!

 
At Monday, February 05, 2007 9:40:00 AM , Blogger Kari Lee Townsend said...

Wow, what a fantastic opportunity that was for you. How awesome it must have felt. Good thing you blogged it so you'll never forget.

 
At Monday, February 05, 2007 1:03:00 PM , Blogger Sammy and Joe said...

I know the feeling, I played in an American Red Cross all-star game my senior year against those guys. Man what a night! Got to line up beside TAZ, scored a goal on Doug Keans and played what turned out to be Bobby Orr's last charity game (knees go to bad to even do that) I still have some photo's somewhere. But the memory will last forever.

 
At Monday, February 05, 2007 5:09:00 PM , Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Lucky you! Most don't have these experiences. I am glad you appreciate it!

 
At Tuesday, February 06, 2007 10:36:00 AM , Blogger psacake said...

I expect a sizeable contribution when you hit the lottery.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home