Thursday, December 7, 2006

A day of skating...



This past Tuesday I had the chance to "Skate with the Providence Bruins". I am a 5 game "season ticket holder" which is pretty great. I have the same seats for the games and I spread them out so I go about once a month. This is one of their "perks" to season ticket holders.

I took my 10 year old nephew. He loves hockey so I knew this would be a great time. The funny thing is he has skated on the ice at the Dunkin Donuts Center at least twice..as well as the TD Bank North Garden (Home of the Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics). Did I mention he is 10 and has done this?!

We arrived about 3:45 and got in line. We then were sent "downstairs" to put on our skates. We were told "As soon as you are ready go on out". C was so ready to go so I said "GO GO GO!". The new video score board was showing highlights and fights and then they turned on some music. We had about 1 hour to "skate" and meet the players. At about 4:15 the players game out.

C had on his PB's t-shirt so he decided he wanted to have that signed. He skated around and met the players and they all signed stuff, said hi and posed for pictures. Once he was done with that he asked for my "silver sharpie" and went off to "meet the players again". His hat and shirt were now covered..he decided "why not" and took off with a yearbook on the players and had them sign each page (or the page with their image/stats).

It was really a blast. The players were beyond accomodating, posing for pictures and just skating around like any other person.


At one point towards the end a lot of the players were leaned up against the boards watching the highlights and we skated up to make sure we had everyone sign stuff. I said to one of the guys "Arent' these just re-runs to you guys?" The response was the best "Well yeah..but we only watch video to show us the BAD stuff we do..never the good...so this is fun".

As noted the players were really nice and very VERY good about making sure the kids were taken care of..and bottom line that is the most important. We were soon ushered off the ice (there were 2 more skate with the players sessions to get to) and as we unlaced our skates I got the ultimate reward from "C". He said "How awesome was THAT?"

Awesome indeed my man..aweseome indeed.

5 Comments:

At Thursday, December 07, 2006 11:11:00 AM , Blogger Jenny G said...

That's so awesome!! Mmmm...hockey players...

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 11:48:00 AM , Blogger Sharon Shiner said...

wow - is that a peter stastny shirt?

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 11:52:00 AM , Blogger March2theSea said...

Sharon..thats actually his SON! He has skated w/the big guys 2-3 times this season...I used to LOVE that line of Peter, Marion and Anton..awesome!

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 3:31:00 PM , Blogger Sammy and Joe said...

the Stasny line... How many times was that line used in Grandma Marches driveway!!!! I think Peter scored the Stanley Cup winner at least fifty times!

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 3:41:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you r so cool!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home