Monday, April 10, 2006

Weekend

Well back to work today. Somewhat of a busy weekend but it is all good.

Friday night Mrs March and I watched Brokeback Mountain. I have to admit that during the film I thought it was "ehh". It wasn't horrible and the scenery is stunning. About 1hr after the movie was over I have to admit "i got it". Its a wonderful film. If you haven't seen it you should. Most folks want to see it out of curiosity anyhow, but its a well done film. I can go further with that but I don't want to spoil it if you have it on your list of films to see.

Saturday was running errands getting the littlest march to the doctor to see what the deal was with his cough, dinner out and then the mrs. and I unwound with
The Squid and the Whale. Wow..this movie was excellent. Talk about taboo and twisted plot lines (for a drama). The littlest dude in the film is messed up. I'd say this movies is on that good/bizarre level of Happiness and Kids. Both good for what they are but not stuff you'd put on to impress a date. Check out Squid and Whale though, very good film.

After the movie was over I decided to head to providence to catch some live music. The two bands (of 5) that I wanted to see The Sword and Torche. Torche was listed as the headliner but the Sword is the band I wanted to see more. When I got there the sword was moved to the headlining slot. Good news. Bad news..I got there after 10 and the second of the five bands JUST went on stage. The Sword went on stage at 1am.....

A review on that is forth coming.

7 Comments:

At Monday, April 10, 2006 10:29:00 AM , Blogger Jenny G said...

I don't disturb easily, but the end of Happiness (with the kid and the dog eating the stuff) was too much for me. If it had been an adult it wouldn't have been so bad I don't think. I want to see Brokeback; it's on my queue.

 
At Monday, April 10, 2006 12:20:00 PM , Blogger Greg said...

March, I must say I disagree about Hapiness. I think it's the perfect litmus test to try out on a date, any Solondz film actually, to see if she (or he) is made of the stuff that you want to spend time with.

Similar film auteurs might be Lynch, Kelley, Brackhage, Tarkovsky, and Kieslowski.

 
At Monday, April 10, 2006 6:22:00 PM , Blogger jenni said...

I loved The Squid and the Whale, too - watched it this weekend. I also watched A History of Violence which I did not like.

 
At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 9:29:00 AM , Blogger Jennifer Leigh said...

The Squid and the Whale was pretty disturbing...more than in just the Happiness way...**shudder**...it did really show a realistic view of being the child of divorce in the 80s, though...

 
At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:05:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! I can post comments now! it's all downhill from here, man. my first comment will be to make fun of the sage for spelling Brakhage's name wrong. Blasphemy! My second comment will be to say that both Happiness and the Squid and the Whale rule. My final comment will be to say that a good film to use as a litmus test is Baraka. The link will bring you to my Netflix review page where I explain further. Expect more comments from me than you could ever possibly want in the future.

 
At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 5:54:00 PM , Blogger Rusty said...

I want to see Brokeback Mountain, but I'm turned off by any references to Happiness. I'm still haunted by that horribly disturbing movie to this day, and it's been years. If I could scrub it out of my brain, I would. I don't disturb easily, either, and I felt dirty after seeing that piece of trash. I guess I'll stay single if enjoying a movie like that is any kind of litmus test of a woman's intestinal fortitude. That's just sick.

 
At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 6:38:00 PM , Blogger Greg said...

rusty,

i wouldn't say it's a test of one's fortitude, but of one's appreciation for 'different' kinds of films.

i wouldn't by any means say that happiness glorifies pedophelia, for example, but it is a disturbing and powerful film, and does what solondz set out to do with the film, which was to show us many different sides of the human condition. witness the fact that you still can't get it out of your head.

one movie i'd like to get out of my head would be 'dancer in the dark'.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home