Monday, January 23, 2006

PT Barnum was right.

There is a sucker born every minute and its me.

A little backstory first. I embrace technology, I really do. I have an mp3 player, dvd, a computer and even a cell phone. What I don't have is all the gadgets that go along with a phone. I don't have text messaging, call waiting, call forwarding none of that. I think having a cell phone can be helpful and I really only use it on rare occasions because that is what I am used to. Recent college grads I work with, this is all they have. No more phone calls to the house where mom or dad might pick up..but that is not where I am going here.

At home we don't have caller ID. It seems like an expensive silly option that the answering machine can cover. While I am at it..i can't stand Call Waiting either. Nothing gives you more of a "YEAH FUCK YOU" when you hear "Can you hold on I got another call". Piss off..call me when you are done.

So, I use the answering machine as my "screener". The phone rings and most of the time I am standing right next to the phone and if I know who it is, SURPRISE, I pick up. 9 times out of 10 its a hang up (ie telemarketer).

Last night the phone did its ring, got the machine and then no message. About 2 minutes later it does it again, then again. Now the third time I think I should bite the bullet and just pick it up cuz my mom and dad could be in a ditch. I like to think I am popular but I can face the music too.

Sure enough when I pick up its my local police department looking for money. (Finally getting to what I wanted to talk about).
So Mr.Police man starts to tell me how they need money and all the money goes to the town etc. Now I do donate money, granted not as much as I'd like at times, but 25.00 here, 20 there I can do on occasion. How can I NOT donate to the police? I live in fear they sit with the map of the town and put and X over the names that do not donate and then drag their feet when a 911 call comes. (I know I am being silly so any police that are reading I know you'd not do that). It is the same fear that I have when I get teenagers trick or treating. Part of me wants to give them a piece of my mind while the other half of me stands there and just gives fistfulls so the bastards won't egg my house.

I understand the need to raise money, heck I need money too. Last fall was the breaking point. I had one organization call and ask me for some money. I decided that this time I just couldn't do it, even 10.00. I didn't want to be mean, but we had given a few hundred (yes HUNDRED) to the Hurricane Relief and the holidays were coming. Again, I realize they need to make money somewhere but the person got out and out rude. Here was out it ran out (lets join where it gets good)

organization - Can you donate our 150.00 amount?
March - Umm no.
Org - Okay that is a lot....how about 100.
M - nope
Org - can you help us at all today?
M - this time i can't. As you noted I have donated to you 4 other times this year
Org - Well Mr.March we do appreciate those donations but we need the donations now.
M - well I'd love to help as as you noted I have been counted on in the past but we donated some money to the hurricane relief a few weeks back.
Org - oh..well this organization really needs your help.
M - I understand, but I just don't have the money
Org - Nothing huh?
M - no, like I said the next time I can help.
Org - these people REALLY need your help Mr. March
M - (finally pissed). I understand your need to raise money but when I say no I mean no. I have donated in the past, I was planning to in the future, but you being so aggressive and angry about me NOT donating has put a very bad taste in my mouth regarding your organization. I realize you have a job to do but when I politely tell you that I can not, at this time, help you please drop it, or take me off your calling list of donators.

So, out of the 20000 times I have been asked for $$ I say nicely that I can't help "RIGHT NOW" one time and I feel like I am going to hell.

6 Comments:

At Monday, January 23, 2006 10:16:00 AM , Blogger Jenny G said...

I hate when the cops call for money. What the hell are my taxes going for?

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 10:30:00 AM , Blogger Dim said...

Exactly. And I wish they could look up your donation history when they pull you over for going through a yellow light. Bastards.

- D.

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 12:45:00 PM , Blogger Rusty said...

I don't think it's actually the police, as in "the local police force" who are asking for money. It's actually the Fraternal Order of Police, which is not the same thing at all. They've called here many times. I know that doesn't make it any better that they're hounding you for donations. You need to get on the Do Not Call registry, March...pronto.

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 1:40:00 PM , Blogger Kris said...

dude...hang up. problem solved.

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 7:05:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

Unfortunately the Do Not Call list doesn't apply to charities.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 12:26:00 AM , Blogger Mr. A said...

Which was it? The Salavation Army?

That's one group I will never give money to....

For reasons found here

http://pppannoy.blogspot.com/2005/12/random-vent-3.html


If you gave once that's more than the next ten people did. You are going to heaven I'm sure :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home