Thursday, September 6, 2007

One of those all over the map posts...



Can I be "put under" for the next 12 to 15 years please....
Moms and Dads with 'school age kids may want to join me. I couple of weeks ago I was in local "chain" of department stores called Bob's. I was in line getting "whatever" and the family in front of me was checking out. A Mom, Dad and probably a 16 year old girl. Now we all "look" at what other people are buying, the dad gets "out of the way" and the mom and daughter drop what appears to be 2-3 items on the counter. The daughter was buying thong underwear. I felt creeped out but the dad kinda seemed like "ehhh whatever".

Finally, second day of school..overall it was okay. Littlest March came home with milk money AND an uneaten sandwich.

me -umm what did you eat today?
LM - grapes and popcorn.
me - why didn't you eat your PBJ?
LM - Mrs X told me that it was for lunch.
me - okay, why didn't you eat it at lunch?

I was reeling on a few levels about this. I realize he needs to speak up but how can they, on the second day of school, not rummage thru the kids bags to get an idea of who has money or what have you? (I only filled out about 2000 Emergency Contact forms) I know what the teacher meant as well regarding "its for lunch" as Littlest probably took it out at snack time, but what bugs me is that nobody in the cafeteria saw my kid (or any other kid) NOT FUCKING EATING???!

Of course for dinner he ate a whole package of Easy Mac and some Hot Dog, Grapes and 2 cups of milk.

I wrote an email to the teacher and had about 8 versions..none of which I could get to come off "nice". I don't want to blame her for anything, or tell her she is doing things wrong. When Mrs March got home I told her, and told her I could not write an email without coming across as a complete asshole. (I know I know..march you already are).

So, Mrs March is off work today and she said she'd go over to the school to see what is up. Littlest March is out the door at 8:15, full day of school then an aftershcool program (they have a snack there) but he is far to little to be living a life that is basically vending machine fodder.

4 Comments:

At Thursday, September 06, 2007 3:18:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

March, hon....you are SO not a complete asshole. You are a concerned parent that wants to remind the teacher and the school that they have a responsibility to care for your kids between the hours of 9 and 3 which includes making sure they are fed.

 
At Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:54:00 PM , Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

March, are your kids in public school? I have a big beef with my public school because their lunch period is barely 20 minutes long! the kids are either trying to wolf down their food as quickly as possible or the slow eaters, like my middle child, come home without finishing or sometimes even getting to eat her lunch. They are always asking for volunteers to help the kids in order to help with this problem. Because the teachers do not go to lunch period with their class. The lunchroom attendants at my school are made up of admin people and parent volunteers. If I could come in every day at lunch, I could make sure my kid gets fed, but I can't and so all I can do is hope she eats as much as she can. It's an ongoing struggle for me. My oldest has coped with this by eating too fast which has its own set of problems. So, no you are not an asshole. You are a reasonable and concerned parent worrying about his child. I am there with you. My only solace has been to make sure they get a good dinner... that my husband cooks! ;o)

 
At Thursday, September 06, 2007 7:06:00 PM , Blogger B. said...

I teach first grade. I tell my parents to always put their kid's money in a baggie along with a slip of paper stating what is to be bought with the money. Saves me (and mom and dad) a lot of hassle. As far as snack goes, we eat lunch early, 1045-1115, so I let my kids eat snack at 100. That way, if they didn't eat much for lunch, I can make sure they eat more at snack.

 
At Friday, September 07, 2007 8:36:00 AM , Blogger Potsie said...

Bobs actually has some decent shit. However, they too can be a little expensive as well.

You need to drop the hammer on the teacher dude. I'll drop it for you if you don't want to look like the bad guy. I'll be littlest's unofficial godfather.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home