Monday, January 30, 2006

My favortie Records of 2005.

2005 for me personally was one heck of year. Some of my favorite bands released cds and I heard some great new music. When i poked around the web at other peoples top 20 or whatever of the year I was stunned to read "This year blew". I had to cut my list down to 25 and left out some of my other favorite bands from past years. Mostly the reason for that is their cd came out..i listened to it but it didn't floor me and get me back to listen. At the end of the year that left bands like Kinski, High on Fire and Dead Meadow, amongst others outside looking in.

Secret Sahmati Award (thanks to Bill Hickey for this name) Every band/artist is bound to have a dud now and then.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl.


So, this is my list of FAVORITE records of 2005. I hate to say best (well barring most of it) but I don't want to come across as being pretentious.

Honorable Mention - They Might Be Giants - Here comes the ABCs. Its a kids record and if you have kids you know that once they like
something you are going to hear it over and over and over. If you have kids or nieces,nephews get this cd you will not be disappointed. From the opener "The Alphabet of Nations" (Algeria, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Dominica, Egypt, France....) to the theme to the Higgly Town Heros you will be hard pressed to not have your feet taping and rump shaking.

Now the list.


25) System of a Down - Hypnotize/Mezmerize - I know its 2 different cds and I am cheating but I honestly couldn't complete this list without giving them the nod. It could be argued that these 2cds released months apart would have made a stunning single cd, that didn't happen but still you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't at least listen to each of these once.



24) The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan - their live show should have no bearing on my liking of this record but they pissed me off good in providence. Jack is a super guitar player and there are some catchy tunes, now if I could get that 10+ minute encore break filled with tunes I'd move em up. Previous list appearance: Elephant #6, 2003



23) Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV. Its a shame they get compared to Rush all the time, and if not being compared to rush they just talk about the band members hair. No band out there is making as complex tunes that tell as story this well that is so far 3cds and counting.



22) Clem Snide - End of Love - If someone were to ask me what Clem Snide is all about I'd point them to the final song of this cd.The track "Weird" says it all, and no the band is not weird, it is that the overall sound sums them up perfectly. Previous list appearance: Soft Spot #11 in 2003





21) Stars - Set Yourself on Fire - I saw them open for Death Cab for Cutie and they blew me away enough to grab the cd the night of the show.







20) Death Cab for Cutie - Plans - The same basic principal of time and distance ruining relationships has been strongly maintained, and sounds just as any Cutie album should.







19) Broken Social Scene - Self Titled - a rotating cast of band members actually helps makes this band stronger. lacks the "newness" of You Forgot in People but a strong follow up to one of the more buzzed about cds of the last few years. it is all over the map, musically speaking, but the more you listen to it the more is grows on you.



18) Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw. The day I created my blog I needed a name and "march to the sea" was playing from this record and it just sounded cool. Totally instrumental and really nice and thick it felt a little like leftovers from their last cd. When I need to get my heavy on, this does it. Previous list appearance: Australasia #19 2003



17) Sufjan Stevens - Invites you to: Come on feel the Illinoise. Rumored to be the 2nd in a series of records devoted to the 50 states (Michigan has been done). If this is the case, and they are even close to being this good you'll see his name appear at least 48 more times on my lists






16) The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute - I like a challenging listen. I like to be rewarded for my time spent listening and money spent. If you are looking for a catchy 3 minute pop song look elsewhere. Sometimes off in their own world and then thrust under the "prog rock" logo they seem to stray but the rewards outweigh the disadvantages. Previous list appearance: De Loused in the Commatorium #1 2003


15) Common -Be -Rap and hip hop rarely win me over. I like the lyrically smart and strong sense of musicality on my "rap" records. Kayne West produced this record which helps add to the catchy ness. His sixth release seems focused and heartfelt. Try doing that when you are not trying to pop a cap in someone's ass.




14) The Magic Numbers - S/T - The foursome made up of brother and sister duos has all the harmonies you'd want from a modern day Mams and the Papas. Nice to hear people sing, and sing well.






13) The Darkness - One Way Ticket to Hell...and Back - Perhaps only the second record of the year to bring the biggest smile to my face for the sheer simplicity and excellence of it all. Sure you hear Queen but the band doesn't shy away or deny them as an influence. Listen to Hazel Eyes and you'll get it. Previous list appearance: Permission to Land #5, 2003



12) Beck - Guero - A return to the more up tempo Beck that I (and probably most) prefer as well as a little more focus. He is not as upset this time around and it shows. The first 1/2 of the record is far superior to the latter half. E-Pro opens the record and is a great lead off single. Girl keeps the lightheartedness going
Previous list appearance(s): Odelay # 4, 1996 Midnight Vultures #4 1999 Sea Change#11 in 2002


11) My Morning Jacket - Z - A little less reverb and a lot more soul. Stand outs Gideon and Off the Record show that Jim James has one of the best voices in rock today. Previous list appearance: It Still Moves #2, 2003






10) Kanye West - Late Registration - Most appealing about Kanye is he sticks to his guns and whatever he touches seems to turn to gold. Rap and Hip hop are a far cry from what I listen to on regular basis, let alone buy, but this is one hell of a complete package. Two records into his career are setting up nicely for a strong impact.




9) Animal Collective - Feels - full fledged songs rather than soundscapes. But why bother describing this album, it's fruitless. If you're a bit daring in your music tastes, I highly recommend this electrifying album.





8) M.I.A - Arular - If you can pin down what genre this record is let me know. As all over the map you can be without sounding pretentious. Hardly a record you can put on and sing to either but the record as a whole collection needs to be in your collection





7) Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn - With songs titles as long as the songs are in length this cd is not overly technical for an instrumental outfit. The perfect sound track to the end of a long night out.






6) Lightning Bolt - Hypermagnetic Mountain - Providence noise band Lightning Bolt do what is not easy create a pretty listenable and structured "noise" record.







5) Big Business - Head for the Shallow - some may say a poor mans Death From Above 1979. Take away the laptops that DFA uses and you get Big Biz. The first 2 tracks on this cd punch me in the stomach and then step on my head. When Jared yells "OWWW" during the lead off track "O.G" you'll have spat out some chicklets as well after being head whipped. Remember this heaviness is brought to you by two members.


4) Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine - one need not waste time on the whole backstory on this release. Put all your silly reasons you think you hate Fiona aside and give this one a listen you shant be disappointed. Previous list appearance: When the Pawn Hits..#5 in 1999





3) Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabyes to Paralyze - There is no denying my devotion to this bands output. As strong a record as I feel it is, if the band could be one cohesive unit from tour to studio I think it would pay off tenfold. It may be the weakest of their career but it smokes many releases of 2005
Previous list appearance: Self Titled#17 in 1998, Rated R #1 in 2000, Songs for the Deaf #1 2002


2) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - S/T - People say they have the worst band name in ages. I am the uber geek on them. Grabbed the cd when they were still packing them up from their apartment in NYC. A cross of the Talking Heads meets Violent Femmes this record didn't come out of the player for 3 months straight. if you don't like whiney vocals you may be put off, but the pop quirks on this record are flat out great


1) Sigur Ros - Takk - No Takk you. Takk which is Icelandic for Thank you couldn't be more appropriate. Thank you to the label for taking a chance on this, thank you to Sigur Ros for making music that causes me to think and realize that music can still make you well up. If they ever released this in a multi channel cd format I'd never leave the house. Easily the record of the year
Previous list appearance(s): Ágætis Byrjun #1, 2001, ( ) #3 in 2002

5 Comments:

At Monday, January 30, 2006 11:29:00 PM , Blogger Rusty said...

I admit rather sheepishly that I've never even heard of more than a few of these bands, much less do I know what they sound like. Since you're a music geek, I trust your judgement and would probably check a couple of these out. Thanks for the ideas.

That said...Kanye West is an idiot. I would never pay a penny for any of his music, because he, as a person, doesn't deserve my money. I told Jenny the other day that I think Gold Digger is catchy, and I can admit that, but I find it hard to believe that he's on your list so close to the top.

Other than that...good stuff, March! :)

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 11:30:00 PM , Blogger Rusty said...

...and by the way, I called you a music geek because you've labeled yourself that in the past...I'm not calling you a geek. :)

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:31:00 AM , Blogger Mr. A said...

I am getting old I guess.

I don't own even one of those CDs. In fact, I don't think I bought one CD released in 2005!

God love Limewire

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:10:00 AM , Blogger March2theSea said...

Rusty..if you dont' like Kanye check out the Common cd.its very good.

Annyoed..not sure what you might like so I can't makea suggstion

 
At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:43:00 AM , Blogger Sharon Shiner said...

Hey March, I happen to LOVE Here Come the ABCs. WE have both the DVD and the CD.
My favorite song is Alphabet Lost and Found....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home