Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Queens of the Stone Age - Providence Performing Arts Center July 14, 2014

Queens of the Stone Age
Providence Performing Arts Center
Providence, Rhode Island
Monday July 14, 2014

Support – Brady Dalle

Readers of this blog know that I am fan of the band. Been a fan for many years and last night marked the 13th time seeing the band live. Some things were the same, but much has changed, for the better over the years. The band is a bit more focused on the visuals (far more lights in the show than I ever recall seeing) and a tight...very tight set list.

Opening with “You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, but I Feel Like a Millionaire” was a very solid, rowdy opener and that sped right in to “No One Knows”.

For the full 90 minute set found the band really not straying. I don't even think lead singer, founder and guitarist Josh Homme even changed his guitar. Josh was spot on vocally and he would toss his swagger off his hips and “just the right” amount of stage banter really kept it moving.

The band, which always seemed to have a revolving door of musicians seems to have settled down..at least for now. Troy Van Leeuwen was stage right, changing his guitars often and offering many vocal harmonies. Bassist Mikey “shoes” Shuman was to Hommes left and is steady and animated as ever. Jon Theodore really can work the drums, and was even given a short solo late in the show. Dean Fertita played just about everything, focusing mostly on keyboards, but he'd strap the guitar on many a time during the night.

2013's critically acclaimed record “...Like Clockwork” was well represented and the tunes all play out well in a live setting. “If I Had A Tail” mid set was a stand out and the swirling bass on “Turnin' the Screw” was a perfect bookend to the track.

The main set ended with “Go With The Flow” and Josh thanked us all for coming. The band left with waves and smiles and the audience didn't need to wait long for more.

The three song encore opened with “The Vampyre of Time and Memory” a piano lead track with Homme just off center stage playing under spotlights. A wildly fun “Feel Good Hit of the Summer” was extended with some ad libs from Homme and the extended drum solo from Theodore all lead to the great closer “A Song for The Dead”. Walls of guitar, thunderous drums and just a spastic light show ended the set on a high note.

The full set:
You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar, but I Feel Like A Millionaire
No One Knows
My God Is The Sun
Smooth Sailing
I'm Designer
Monsters in the Parasol
I Sat By The Ocean
...Like Clockwork
If I Had A Tail
Turnin' The Screw
Fair weather Friends
Little Sister
Make It Wit Chu
Sick, Sick, Sick
3's & 7's
The Lost Art of Keeping A Secret
Go With the Flow
E:
The Vampyre of Time and Memory
Feel Good Hit of The Summer
A Song For The Dead

All in all I was pleased. The set seemed a tad short with the bands extensive catalog, but I didn't really leave feeling they left anything out. Of course one could argue they didn't play …... but what good would that do, you'd be taking from a fine fine set.

I'd have posted a picture or two, but I can't ever seem to grab a worthy picture off my phone..so I'll spare you.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home