Wednesday, September 3, 2008

This doesn't make sense.

The other day I saw a commercial with multi gold medal winner Micheal Phelps. The ad I saw he wasn't hawking Wheaties, or Corn Flakes or an energy drink.

What was he selling?

Rosetta Stone Language cds.

I kid you not.

Man did they drop the ball on this ad.


The ad starts off with Phelps saying "I wanted to learn chinesse before I went to the Olympics". They then show random shots of him listening to the cds in various locations.

Does Phelps utter a SINGLE word in the commercial in Chinese?

No..not a single one.

Ummm a note to the marketing folks at Rosetta Stone. If you are going to sell a product that you claim is the easiest and the best..have your spokesperson SAY a word or two in a language other than English.

Even at the end it was his "catch phrase" of "Under one Minute guys..under a minute".

Next time have him say it in Chineese and sub-title it.

Man..all these good ideas I have...

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:42:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just too goofy.

 
At Wednesday, September 03, 2008 4:12:00 PM , Blogger Travis Erwin said...

You should be an ad exec.

 
At Wednesday, September 03, 2008 6:47:00 PM , Blogger Viszlát Sjáumst said...

Spot on! I've seen this commercial just once and I had the exact same thought.

There is a moment when he may be repeating a phrase in Mandarin but it is drowned out by the over-dialogue.

The least they could've done is had him say 'nihao' (hello)!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home