Wednesday, October 10, 2007

No wonder the music business is screwed..

I won't rant on long about the obvious issues but had to share.

Yesterday Band of Horses released their second album and its a record I have been waiting for. The band is on Sub Pop so the chances of it landing in "Target" for example, at least right now are pretty slim.

Working from home today I teetered on the idea of mail ordering it. I have seen it for "not too" expensive. Even Amazon.com has it for $7.99. I am not sure I could wait so I called the closest record shop to me is FYE which is the SHITTIEST "record" store ever. For selection and prices. I called to see if they had it..and they did. That was a good sign as I had to run an errand to a store right near it.

I shuffle in to the store around lunch..waddle to the "B"'s and find the cd.

Its 17.99

SEVEN-TEEN NINETY NINE.

I am sure if there was actually anyone else in this store they'd have heard my jaw hit the floor. Are they serious? $17.99 for a single cd. I understand its on an "indie" label and that keeps prices "up" but really..are they kidding me? I saw the Hanna Montana cd that little march has..it was 24.99. I kid you not..24.99. Thats a double cd but most stores realize your target demo is kids 6-12 and that would take Little March about 4 months of chores to pay off. Who are they kidding???!

I don't think I'll be putting my feet inside one of their stores ever again..no matter how bad I need something.

Came home and ordered it on line..now I gotta freaking wait.

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:43:00 PM , Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

You know the difference in price that you saved is the price of a movie ticket, or lunch, or a tee shirt, or almost another cd! I do that alot too, go to the store, have my jaw hit the ground and come back and order it from Amazon.

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:06:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats smart, now you can wait and hope that it arrives. How much was shipping ($3-5)? Did you think about using one of those $3 off coupons at FYE that are all over the internet (Making CD $14.99)? Well good for you! You certainly showed them. I, on the other hand, am listening to the album right now. Its AWESOME!

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:16:00 AM , Blogger Jenny G said...

I haven't set foot inside a record store since I had an internet connection and a credit card.

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:53:00 AM , Blogger Potsie said...

I used to work at FYE when it was RecordTown/Saturday Matinee. They were pretty expensive. However, Godsmack's first big cd was priced at $9.99 for months even when they were big. A year later, $17.99. They have to make their money somehow, although I agree that the pricing of music has gone through the roof.

 
At Saturday, October 13, 2007 6:05:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYE is kind of random with their prices. When Spoon's Gimme Fiction came out, it was $9.99. When Death By Sexy came out, it was $10.99 (I bought it there because nobody else had it in stock and I was going to new york the next day). Hell, they even had Kyuss for $11.99

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home