Monday, June 11, 2007

Where to begin..

Many will be happy to know, as they read, this entry will have nothing to do with regard to The Sopranos. Mostly due to the fact you are reading the blog of a person that has not seen a single episode of the show. I know it is/was good and someday I'll get around to renting and seeing them all but I am in no rush.

On the home front I have a chipmunk problem in my back yard. I can't even say its a full on problem but I have 2 or 3 smaller holes in my back yard and I want this to stop sooner than later. Friday I looked on line for some advice and per the norm one page tells you to do A-B-C while another site says "NEVER" do A-B-C. One item I did find was gas or smoke bombs. Hell, fire and or explosives..sign me up! I'll have holes in my back yard yet.

I went to the local large home store and got a four pack of smokers. I read the instructions (yeah I really did) and I read one of the cooler parts..."You may need to use more than one smoke stick" Ohhh yeah.

We got back from the library and the kids went in, and I went right to the backyard. I am worried about pesticides or traps etc. I'll admit the critters are a far cry from an ugly creature. So, you light the stick, stuff it in the hole and cover with a rock. Simple.

Light one..drop..cover..then I heard. FSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SPPPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOFFF. Some smoke leaks up but it appears we have ignition. So I do another in a second hole and decide to wait. The idea is this smoke gets into all the paths and can get to them. Yesterday I concluded and then decided to fill in the hole(s) with some bark muclch and grass clippings etc. I packed it all down tight. Now we wait. See if they use another hole, or if I got em.

Not all that wild and crazy but I felt like writing something other than testing notes for my place of employ.

6 Comments:

At Monday, June 11, 2007 12:01:00 PM , Blogger Potsie said...

Dude....why didn't you invite me over. That would have been a lot more fun than watching TV like I did. If you plan on doing something like that again, please give me a heads up.

Reminds me of this Simpsons episode:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8L8bjNuNO0A

 
At Monday, June 11, 2007 4:48:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hub used the same thing for groundhogs in our back yeard. It was fun and dramatic but alas, not very effective. The groundhogs are still in residence. Or maybe those are new groundhogs that moved in after the others fled..who knows.

Good luck with your chipmunks.

 
At Monday, June 11, 2007 5:45:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

Awww, chipmunks are cute! I haven't watched The Sopranos. I saw one episode once and thought it was pretty good so I Netflixed it and couldn't even finish the first episode, I was so bored. I do, however, highly recommend Six Feet Under. I'm working my way through that and I'm on disc 2 of season 3.

 
At Monday, June 11, 2007 5:45:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

P.S. My grandpa used to sit on his porch with a shotgun, killing the groundhogs. Cue Deliverance music.

 
At Monday, June 11, 2007 6:18:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandma's brother used to raise chipmunks in his back yard and they are soooo cute....

I think Jenny G's grandad's idea is probably the way you'll have to go...

Australia has no chipmunks :( just possums and other stuff....

 
At Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:47:00 AM , Blogger The Guinness Tooth said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's never been bothered to watch the Soprano's.

I've never had to kill chipmunks, my mom loves them and wouldn't let me anyway. My cat kills a lot of them though, he chews of the tail and leaves the rest in the sun room.

If they do come back I may have a more explosive solution for you. I used this technique to kill mice a few years back. Cover up the hole to the best of you ability, allowing room to spay a flammable aerosol into the hole. Then you light it on fire. If there is enough fuel the fire will burn all the O2 in the hole, and kill whatever is in there. It also sounds really awesome.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home