Monday, September 25, 2006

Man this bums me out....



Littering sucks.

I am finally back to (at least trying to) walk during lunch. The building I am in is located on a pretty busy street with a lot of "industrial park" like buildings on it.

While walking I waddle along quietly, yet swiftly to the sound of whatever happens to come up on shuffle on the ipod. Traffic speeds past but I do my best to soak up the sun/cool air. The eyes wander to the edge of the road and the wooded areas...all riddled with trash.

Littering is stupid but what makes it even worse is when you know it was "purposely" done. We have all been to a picnic where a few dozen napkins go flying and we do our best to gather them all up quick, but when your microwave breaks is your first instinct to put it in your Cutlass Supreme and "take it for a ride?" I don't get it.

Spotted recently...a couch AND a dryer amongst the usual rubble. Now I am sure we must blur the lines regarding a definition..I'd assume the couch and the dryer are "illegal dumping".

I am one of four total people at my home. On trash day I pull out ONE trash barrel. The people across from me (same # of people) has at least 5 barrels of trash....never a recycle bin.

Not sure where I am going with this at all other than to give some of you a "walk down memory lane" with that old PSA.

sadly submitted:

-march

5 Comments:

At Monday, September 25, 2006 11:10:00 AM , Blogger The Guinness Tooth said...

I believe people need to stop littering at the most basic level, and I believe that is cigarette but(t)s. The average smoker throws hundreds of thousands of these things on the ground over the course of their life time, and yet most law enforcement doesn't ticket them, the only people that do, tend to work in national parks or at beaches. If I were a cop I would spend all day ticketing people for no other reason than failing to use the ash tray in their car. I could go on all day about how much littering infuriates me.

 
At Monday, September 25, 2006 9:41:00 PM , Blogger Sharon Shiner said...

I frigging hate litterers.
I am in the process of teaching Max, my 4 yr old about littering.
Yesterday, I was cleaning up outside, when the wind blew some paper off my pile. Max laughed and said, Mommy, the wind littered, naughty wind.
It was cute.

 
At Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:14:00 AM , Blogger Steve H said...

holy crap. i was thinking aobut that psa the other day - i was telling the kids about it. they are the opposite of litterers, they pick up stuff, and when we go hiking we always bring a garbage bag with us.

littering is the epitome of laziness.

 
At Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:44:00 AM , Blogger Ryan Spaulding said...

Sorry to step on your littering post. (FYI: I am pro-recycle.)

Am I going to run into you at Lupo's on Thursday night for the Raconteurs?

If you are going to be there, that would be cool.

 
At Tuesday, September 26, 2006 10:03:00 AM , Blogger March2theSea said...

GT - I agree. I saw a sign the other day for littering w/a fine of 10,000 dollars! Well issue one so it makes the news!

Sharon - that is funny. I think the kids need to learn what is the right thing to do.

Hot - I am the same way..I got on a walk I come home with a platic bag of stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home