Tuesday, September 19, 2006

No its better than good...



This past weekend I watched Everything is Illuminated and, wow. It was terrific.

In a nutshell Elijah Wood plays a character that "collects" things. Upon the slow demise of his grandmother he is given a photo of a woman with her now deceased grandfather. He goes on a quest to find her in the Ukraine. The grandfather was a displaced Jew during World War II. Upon arriving in the Ukraine he meets his interpreter and their (blind) driver who is the interpreters grandfather. Its funny for a bit, then gets serious and heartwarming and yes a little confusing. It is one of those films that once it is done you say "wow that was good" then a little later you say "no it was real good".
*I want to talk more about stuff but it would spoil it for you if you wanted to see it*

The official "site" is here with trailer(s) and other stuff.

Strongly recommended.

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:19:00 AM , Blogger Potsie said...

I wanted to see it, but it gave me the feeling as if it were a really weird movie. I'll see it now that you said it was good.

 
At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 1:47:00 PM , Blogger pog mo thoin said...

I'll see it based on this. Or I will put it on my Irish equivalent of Netflix and wait for all the movies that I don't really want to see to come before it ;-)

 
At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 4:05:00 PM , Blogger March2theSea said...

joc - you'd dig.

pog - its a great watch..when i watched i liked..now I really like the more and more I think about it.

 
At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:37:00 PM , Blogger jenni said...

I've been wanting to see this!

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:17:00 AM , Blogger Steve H said...

i saw it when it was in the theater and really enjoyed it.
what's even better is to get the book on cd and listen to it because the guy who ready it is fantastic.

i know in your last post you said you didn't have time to read but if you do, read the author's (jonathan safran foer) next book, 'extremely loud and incredibley close'

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 11:09:00 AM , Blogger March2theSea said...

jenni - its great!

hot - i have my eye on one on ebay...shhhh..almost time to "snipe it".

 
At Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:11:00 PM , Blogger jenni said...

Hotwire - I have that book on tape, and I enjoyed the first few cassettes, but during a downpour the whole set got drenched as I opened my car door, and now they are ruined! Thanks for the other book recommendation - I added it to my wish list.

March - I might rent it tonight; Johnny is travelling.....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home