Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What if...

You are never supposed to say "What if" but sometimes you have to. Meaning "What if I paid more attention in school" stuff like that is where I am going.

Last night I watched a documentary by Jean-Michel Cousteau (which I guess is part 1 of 4). In this particular one the crew was going to Kure (note this is not the Cousteau crew). It is an island to the northwest of the main Hawaiian islands (over 1100 miles for that matter).

The crew was going to various atolls on the way, taking 5 weeks to do so. They'd do over 300 dives and capture some amazing images. One of the more famous of the islands is Midway. The crew would stop at various places and get out to explore.

On one dive, a diver was close to 60 feet down and the water temperature was 78.

On a few of the islands the only inhabitants (barring wildlife) was one or 2 marine biologists or volunteers. One guy said that he is on an island for 3 months at a time, then back to the mainland for a month, then back out. The beauty of the island would make anyone ready to board a plane I tell you.

One island also, due to its location, had almost a whirlpool like effect for the whole Pacific Ocean. What I am getting at is fishing nets and other "trash" would accumulate underwater in the area. Volunteers would get pulled behind small boats and dive down to cut loose old netting. It was then piled on the beach. The images of this beautiful area were suddenly overtaken with "trash". They said at one point they had 800 TONS of old netting.

Now the whole "what if" part. I have always loved the ocean. I wanted to be a marine biologist for a lot of years. The thing that held me back was my complete and utter lack of math skills. I failed freshman (highschool) algebra THREE TIMES. I was told that to be a Marine Biologist I'd need strong math skills. So, while watching I said (a few times) what if I "got math" and followed that path. Mind you I'd not change most of my life (Mrs March the kids first and foremost) but still..one has to say "what if" now and then to never "settle" on your path and cause you to get up and face new challenges, or achieve a new dream.

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:29:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy a boat, read some marine books, join a marine biology club, etc...there are other things you can do to keep your dream alive along with your current path...

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 4:27:00 PM , Blogger pog mo thoin said...

"For all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: 'It might have been'."
John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892)

Don't let it happen, Irma is right. Get there another way in a different time frame.

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 6:08:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

I hear you on the math stuff. I was considering being a doctor in early high school but realized it would be tons of math and science which isn't my strong point.

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:58:00 PM , Blogger Steve H said...

i'm with fresh, i got about a dozen of them. kind of an 'if i knew then what i know now' type of problem.

that's why i think it's really important to mentor and guide kids so that they don't end up like us (well, you know what i mean...)

pog - great quote.

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:23:00 AM , Blogger March2theSea said...

irma - see what you are saying but "life" also gets in the way. Buying a boat is just not in the cards. I understand what you are saying and to "never loose the passion".

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 7:59:00 AM , Blogger Kris said...

March, just do it....Life does not get in the way...stop talking and start doing. The best thing we can do for our kids is not settle. Kids see us hate work and go to crappy jobs and they are taught that is what we are supposed to do.

Stop buying widescreen HD Tv's and start buying scuba gear.

Time to turn on the honest asshole switch - Unfortunately I think you will still be sitting in your cube talking about "what if"s in 5 years.

IF you want to make a change, make a change...stop talking.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home