Thursday, July 2, 2009

March waxes poetic....

It has been a week now since the death of Michael Jackson and like most folks it is hard to go even a day without hearing "something else".

Was I a fan of his, on some levels sure. Thriller came out when I was 12 years old. MTV used to play videos and his were all pretty excellent from this record as well. Did I have a "Beat It" faux leather jacket, no but I did have the cassette tape and I'd listen to it..and I liked it. I listened to some of his older stuff as well, like Off the Wall and the occasional Jackson 5 song here and there. By the time "Bad" came out I was "too cool" for his music and pushed it away. It was after all 1987 and I was,well 17! Soon after (or was it during) he got to be a strange guy, with his personal life garnering more attention than his music work and then it kept just getting sadder and sadder (as well as weirder and weirder).

When I heard the news I was surprised, but not that surprised if that seems fair. Imagine if the died suddenly between 82-85? We'd all have the day off work/school.

Anyway, I haven't purchased a single thing from him since I bought Thriller on cd a few years ago (quiet you).

One place you get mixed reviews on his life are political cartoons of all places. Check out about 10 pages worth..covering all aspects from seeing him as an icon..to seeing him as a criminal.

Check them out here.

Anyway, Michael, where ever you are I hope you are at peace, thank you for some damn fine pop songs too.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, July 02, 2009 4:45:00 PM , Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Well I'm definitely older than you cause I remember being in high school when Thriller came out. Wow. It's hard to believe he's gone. And yes he had an amazing legacy of pop songs. Many of them I really loved. And without a doubt he was an icon.

 
At Thursday, July 02, 2009 9:28:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

Michael was such a poor, tortured soul who had no childhood and no concept of reality because of it. His music certainly isn't my favorite music in the world, but I've been a fan all my life and he has written some perfectly-crafted pop songs. I had Today on while I was getting ready this morning and it broke my heart when Jermaine said he wished he had died instead of Michael. You can see the love that the family had for each other.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home