Monday, December 29, 2008

Most wonderful time of the year ....my ass.

You know it has been bad when you can't wait to get back to work.

Lets rewind to Christmas Eve.

I was able to work from home for half the day. The kids were home with me and were pretty good all in all but Little March was not feeling well. She had been complaining of stomach issues since the day before. She spent most of the day "resting" in bed. Littlest March even took a nap which is rare, and sort of threw everything off too for "Santas arrival". We ordered Chinese take out at 3pm for a 6pm pick up. My brother, his wife and kids and my parents were due to come over as well. I left the house at 5:50 to get the food. I got home at 10 before 7. I waited, with littlest march mind you, for just shy of one hour for our to go order. They were beyond busy at the restaurant. Honestly, I didn't see a person come out of the kitchen with food for at least 35 minutes.

We got home, ate and had fun etc and then tried to get the kids to bed. Key word "Tried". They each took turns waking up and Little March couldn't fall asleep due to the "naps" all day. We tried to have Santa come 4 times..finally I bagged it..and set the alarm for 2:30am for Santa to come. I got up, did what I needed to do..headed back to bed about 2:55..and guess who was up at 3am??? Little March. I hardly made it under the wire.

Christmas day was good..everyone seemed to be feeling better and we had a great day.

Friday I took the day off and we got outside for a bit playing hockey with the kids on the street. About 1 Littlest March heads inside and he'd remain there until Sunday afternoon. Mrs March wanted to go to the bank/postoffice and the grocery store. She called me inside saying Littlest was not feeling well. I cleaned up stuff outside and made it inside JUST in time for Littlest to throw up his lunch. This was a "rise/lather/repeat" story line for the next solid 24hrs. Friday about 8pm my mother in law and her fiancee arrived from Ohio. Littlest didn't even get out of bed...but he did throw up that one more time in bed before crashing out.

Saturday it rained and littlest was still under the weather the bulk of the day. Little starts back up with not feeling well and we do what we can to stay out of each others way. Mrs March and I were due to go out to dinner with some friends later but sort of all day was "touch and go". We didn't want to leave a sick kid with grandma..that is just not fair. We swapped gifts with them and littlest perked up some..but wanted to lay down a lot opening stuff. Still he did pretty well. Around dinner he really came alive and even asked for pizza. He kept it all down and really seemed "better" about 5pm. By that point Mrs March had decided she'd stay home to be safe so I went out. It was fun, good food and laughs and a much needed time away for me.

Sunday I get awoken to Littlest standing at my bedside. Mrs is no where to be found..its 6:30 am. Littlest says "Why is mommy sleeping on the bathroom floor". Oh fucking GREAT. I go to the bathroom and the window is open and Mrs is on the floor. She now has whatever the kids have had. She is having hot flashes, cramps, nausea..you name it. All told yesterday..she was on her feet for about 20 minutes. I figure, we deal..its moms turn to be sick. Grandmas boyfriend takes a shower and I go to the basement for something..and there is water fucking all over the place. The shower is leaking (thank goodness to the unfinished side of the basement). I ask them to be sure the curtain is pulled over etc and the fiancee tells me that the drain cover was over the drain for a portion and perhaps when he let that go, it did a rush causing the issue. Okay, lets be careful. Grandma takes a shower about 20 minutes later..and I go to the basement..and its fucking raining down there now. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK??! I move laundry and try my best to clean up the water...oh yeah..its like 10:20am at this point.

The rest of the day I try to hide, but I can't. The kids need something every 20 minutes, they are bored, people are napping on the couch, people need to be quiet..Little is playing her new keyboard with no headphones on...its heaven on earth I tell you.

I get the kids outside for a bit by 2ish...we hang out, its really very mild out. They get bored, they fight and take turns crying about something. If I get in my car and drive off how long before people will notice?

Fast forward to dinner time. I am 1/2 way in to making dinner when the fiancee comes in "Oh I'll do this you go watch the game". Dude..I am almost done, I know where the stuff is, I know what my kids are having and how it needs to be cut and served.....gaaaaaaaaaaahhhh. He demands to make a salad to go w/the pasta..fine..but he sets up shop right in that "work space" you have on your counter. He is tossing everything in to this salad to boot..I say "Don't go crazy my kids don't usually eat salad (let alone one with all the shit you are putting in to it). Sure enough dinner is "average" at best and then they want to "clean up" again a nice gesture, but I'd rather do it. I hand wash a lot..but they put EVERYTHING in to the dishwasher. I wash pots and pans..they don't. I just think its a waste..so I'd rather hand wash..annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd people will leave me alone. I can't even do the DISHES with out being pissed off.

This morning (Monday) my alarm goes off and Mrs March is still in bed. The conversation goes as such..
me - You are not going to work today are you?
her - Well I might go in for a little while..
me - ummm take the day off...you were on your feet for less than 20 minutes yesterday
her - well I have stuff to do..
me - umm "stuff" can wait

After a few huffs and sighs she says
Why did you set the alarm so early?
me - well i figure I'd shower, get ready for work and be "around" to get breakfast out for the kids because I was not sure how you'd be feeling"
her - well if you go in early can you leave early?
me - I didn't make arrangements per se to leave say at 4:30.
her - well why go in early then?

Really...I couldn't get to work early enough today.

10 Comments:

At Monday, December 29, 2008 11:10:00 AM , Blogger Potsie said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. How long until you get what the rest of family had?

 
At Monday, December 29, 2008 11:37:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You won the Worth a Thousand Words Contest! Thanks for playing!

I'm glad you got to go back to work.

 
At Monday, December 29, 2008 1:02:00 PM , Blogger March2theSea said...

joc..how I haven't gotten it yet is a miracle.

chris..thanks for the award/link!

-march

 
At Monday, December 29, 2008 2:47:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably an issue if you think: If I get in my car and drive off how long before people will notice?
More than say once a day.
My weekend wasn't so bad 2 ear infections and a hammers brother-in-law

 
At Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:58:00 AM , Blogger cubmommy said...

Sorry to hear about the family being sick over the holidays. What is up with that? We were sick/pink eye this Christmas. I have also read and know people who were sick has well.

I wish the sickness would just leave my house.

 
At Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:57:00 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

Sorry, but I had to laugh at some of that :)

 
At Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:55:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like BBS was a little hammered when he wrote that comment.

If you get in your car and drive away can I have your TV?

 
At Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:40:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh maaaan - it's like a nightmare that never ends.

They'll be making a movie about it next year with Chevy Chase LOL

Sorry . . . I shouldn't laugh.

 
At Friday, January 02, 2009 11:39:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with the rest of the commenters I laughed at some parts.... :) Hope everyone is back at feeling well ....

 
At Sunday, January 04, 2009 8:53:00 AM , Blogger Rusty said...

Oh my goodness, March. That sounds like one shitty holiday. I sincerely hope it's gotten better since you wrote this!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home